Sound Synchronization Methods or Systems When Shooting Alone?

David Fitch

I may be working on a project in the future in which I'll be shooting handheld in a run-and-gun, one-man band situation. While not a necessity, I'd like to try recording some sync sound of ambient noise, passersby, and so on using a stereo mic and recorder either nearby or attached to my rig. In a perfect world, I'd have a timecode enabled audio recorder synced to a Denecke TC slate and just catch a flash of the slate at the beginning or end of each shot, but I'm just not going to have those kinds of resources. That said, does anyone have suggestions for a simple, effective sound synchronization system or method for a one person crew?

The thought of an old school bloop box / slate certainly comes to mind, although I don't know if these are still available. I'm sure I could homebrew a bloop box with a buzzer and a bright LED or strobe, but that wouldn't necessarily help with identifying the specific audio cue for each individual take. For that, I'd have to use a Sharpie or sticker on the box to indicate the take number for the camera, then verbally call out the take number for the audio recorder. It's pretty low tech, but it would probably work. I did see that there's even a Bloop Box iPhone app, but unfortunately it doesn't have the capability of displaying or announcing take numbers.

Anyway, I've thought up a couple of options, but I just thought I'd see if anyone has suggestions. As I'm going to be a one-man band, I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks!

Just make sure that your camera is a recording some kind of audio track even if it is from a crappy internal mic and then use a program like Pluraleyes to sync them up. http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/pluraleyes/

Plural eyes will automatically sync the audio from the camera with the audio from a separate source. Also Premiere Pro CC and Final Cut Pro X have a similar function, though I believe Pluraleyes works the best. I think that this would be your best solution because you will only have to remember to press record on the camera and separate recorder, the rest of the work will be done in post.

David:

http://www.webtfg.com/sync7.htm

The above link is to The Film Group and their "Blooper Hand-Held Slating Unit".

It's been a couple years since I talked to 'TFG' and that was about crystal sync work. I am not up to speed on their current offerings but it's worth a call.

Good luck.

Edited by Greg Morris