Panasonic GH4 Now Available for Pre-Order @ $1699

Tim Tyler

Pre-order via Amazon or Pre-order via B&H Photo

The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GH4 continues to evolve delivering professional quality video. Take advantage of 4K (Cinema 4K: 4096x2160 / 24 fps and QFHD 4K: 3840x2160 / up to 30 fps) video recording in MOV/MP4, or ultra high bitrate video recording at 200 Mbps (ALL-Intra) or 100 Mbps (IPB) without a recording time limit.*1 *2 Discover a variety of high-end functions for professional video recording.

Professional Video Functions:

• Time Code: SMPTE-compliant Time Code in Rec Run or Free Run makes it easy to synchronize multiple videos or sound sources in the postproduction process.
  • Color Bars & 1KHz Test Tone: Color Bars (SMPTE / EBU / ARIB Standard) are used as a benchmark for fixing color or brightness. 1KHz Test Tone is used as a benchmark for fixing sound or volume.
  • Center Marker: Center Marker works as a guide mark for video image composition. Simply display it at the center of the viewing angle.
  • Synchro Scan: Use Synchro Scan to suppress flicker over the TV / PC monitor, or when shooting under fluorescent lights.
  • Cinelike Gamma: "CINELIKE D" and "CINELIKE V" create a cinema-like tone to expand your creativity.
  • Master Pedestal: Use Master Pedestal to adjust the brightness balance ±15 steps based on the color black.
  • Zebra Pattern: Determine overexposed areas with the Zebra Pattern before or during shooting. This pattern can even be output to the external monitor too.

• Premium Member

If the HDMI out is 10-bit 4:2:2, like the Blackmagic stuff, it's a good deal.

But I fear it won't be, given that this would obviate a large number of the use cases for the SDI add-on.

Edit - oh, apparently it is, but only in 1080p. Which is a bit of a bugger.

P

When it comes to video outputs, the Interface Unit provides four BNC connectors - two 3G-SDI capable and two HD-SDI capable.

It outputs quad-link SDI 4K video in 4:2:2 10-bit, dual-link 4:2:2 10-bit 1080p up to 60 fps, or four simultaneous 1080p streams up to 30 fps - all with timecode.

IMG_368955.jpg

• Premium Member

Partial credit for giving us the I/O we need, but nul points for making it such an absolute disaster ergonomically.

I wonder what's actually in that box, and if it could be replaced by a slightly less absurdly mis-designed third party option.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I just bought a GH4. Have only done some cam tests with it but am quite impressed. Bought it for a shoot for a Cruise ship operator and I want to shoot without attracting attention. Was shooting with a Sony DDR pj 710 for these kinds of international projects but the single variable function on the lens was an issue. With the GH4, everything is controllable and focussing with zebra is great.

Sandy