Powering PV(solar) panel with LED lights

haoshan

I have seen some questions and responses in this regards in this forum. I am not very convinced, so I shoot the question again.

Is it possible to feed PV cells with LED lighting?

With LED's coloured lighting is easier, and getting a frequency in the range rated for a panel is easier. But would we be producing more energy than what we supply for the LED panel?

I am considering a model as follows;

1 PV panel open to sun. This would power my LED panels and temperature regulators(Not an AC but some fan setup).

1 or 2 PV panel working with the LED panels, inside a temperature regulated closed environment.

Would this be an efficient design?

I think the main inefficient quite big point to spot is PV panel itself. Recently 37.9% by Sharp is the most efficient conventional panel.

LED have efficiency of nearly 100lm/w which isn't match to power that feed in. Shine on PV again will be more likely to be very very little power from it.

Sure it's not efficient. Direct power from PV that face to the sun is better deal.

I'm not sure what you are saying? Are you trying to power the solar panels with light from LED lights?!

If so then that definitely isn't going to work. You can't magically get more energy out than you are putting in.

If you are talking about powering LED lights from solar panels, well people do that all the time.

Typically the panels charge a leisure battery which when charged can power the lights.

It's popular on canal boats here in the UK.

Of course LED movie lights tend to draw a lot more power, so will last a much shorter time than the little lights on a boat.

Freya

• Premium Member

Interestingly enough it is, in theory, possible to game some subsidy systems for photovoltaic microgeneration like this. Strictly speaking, using amber LEDs, one could illuminate the type of rooftop solar arrays that are being widely installed on domestic homes at the moment, and make slightly more money out of the subsidised energy than one was spending to run the LEDs. Amber, because they have the highest quantum efficiency, especially at very low currents, even though they're not in the peak sensitivity range of the silicon solar cells.

Obviously this only works, even on paper, because of subsidisation of microgeneration. Thermodynamics remain in effect and it would be horrendously inefficient.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure what you are saying? Are you trying to power the solar panels with light from LED lights?!

If so then that definitely isn't going to work. You can't magically get more energy out than you are putting in.

If you are talking about powering LED lights from solar panels, well people do that all the time.

Typically the panels charge a leisure battery which when charged can power the lights.

It's popular on canal boats here in the UK.

Of course LED movie lights tend to draw a lot more power, so will last a much shorter time than the little lights on a boat.

Freya

Using led lights with solar panels is pretty effective way of saving energy..It is bit expensive but in long run you will be able to save good amount of money..

Saving money if there is some kind of subsidy as Phil points out.

Saving 'energy' - no - not unless you want to start a discussion along the lines of money equating to energy that is... but even in that case, you're just dicking a (broken) subsidy system, a deficit will turn up somewhere and it's just as easy to imagine it coming from your grandmothers healthcare as it is anything else...

Seems like there's nothing much between stupidity and greed.

I agree, however that when using solar panels with the SUN - as intended - "is bit expensive but in long run you will be able to save good amount of money.." (which will, within a reasonable amount of time pay off your initial outlay)

:)