How do I setup my lightning in my confined space?

Hello there! I want to create simple educational videos for YouTube so I guess PF25 (25fps) is the right choice? My camera shoots in 1080p.

I have the following production gear:

* 1 Canon LEGRIA HF G25 (filming in PF25 MPX or FPX)

* 2 Tristar Magic Square (with spiral lightbulb 85W 5600K in each)

* 1 ATR3350 lavalier (will probably get something else since it sounds so bad)

* 1 Tripod Star 62 (5,3 feet, using it on a chair for extra height)

* 1 Cheap 3x2m IKEA green fabric (using as greenscreen, have tested and work)

The challenge I have is my small apartment. My room is about 3.6m long, 4m width and almost 3m height. I have a small space and I need lightning for me (the talent) and the greenscreen.

Here are some pictures so you can see what I am dealing with and how I have it setup right now:

1015977_10152325651158023_951347689_o.jp1932656_10152325651153023_2077856122_o.j1658270_10152325651133023_788658368_o.jp

As you can see, I have confined space to work within but I will make it work! :-) I would like some ideas on how to get some proper lightning for the greenscreen since it is not enough with these two softboxes (getting shadows behind my back). I am also the case that I have pale skin so I might need to use some color correction in the final video to make me look more yellow (not like a tomato) so it looks "good on video" so to speak.

What are your ideas for setting up the light here, getting some light for the green screen and so forth? I will correct the green screen since I do see the bad folds! ;-P

Thanks in advance and for this highly specialized awesome video forum! ^^,

Take Care & Have An Awesome Day! / Max.

You're going to have serious issues lighting that greenscreen and yourself successfully based on your post.

You have to generate some sort of separation to avoid spill from the screen on you. The easiest way is to put your screen further away from you. Not hard with a 4mt wide room but then again you have to consider what type of shot you want from yourself (wide/close?).

That puts you with another problem. If you decide to go wide on yourself you have to get closer to the screen and further from the camera. If you can get with a closer shot (further from the screen and nearer the camera), you will probably need a bigger screen behind you and you will struggle to get an even lighting on it from your fixtures.

Another way to provide separation from talent and screen is to use some minus green gels on the talent backlight.

Anyway… Why greenscreen? IIRC your camera shoots on 4:2:0 color space so greenscreen will never be perfect considering this alone and your confined space and insufficient lighting gear will just add on top of that.

Did you already considered scouting for a better location? One that you can use without the greenscreen?

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am beginner in this world and the reason why I would like (but don't need if it's not possible)

to use a greenscreen is so I can have different plain backgrounds (grey, white, black, etc.,).

However, now when you point out that this is not really possible due to my location, lighting

gear and camera specifications, I am curious to know whether I can use a white background?

I can get some extra cheap lightning just to light up the white background, such as work light

construction workers use? I would use a rectangular white background that would cover both

windows so I can film using the "rule of thirds" to make it look more appealing to be watching.

Thanks once again for your reply and I am looking forward for your professional suggestions! :-)

Take Care & Have An Awesome Day! / Max K.

You're going to have serious issues lighting that greenscreen and yourself successfully based on your post.

You have to generate some sort of separation to avoid spill from the screen on you. The easiest way is to put your screen further away from you. Not hard with a 4mt wide room but then again you have to consider what type of shot you want from yourself (wide/close?).

That puts you with another problem. If you decide to go wide on yourself you have to get closer to the screen and further from the camera. If you can get with a closer shot (further from the screen and nearer the camera), you will probably need a bigger screen behind you and you will struggle to get an even lighting on it from your fixtures.

Another way to provide separation from talent and screen is to use some minus green gels on the talent backlight.

Anyway… Why greenscreen? IIRC your camera shoots on 4:2:0 color space so greenscreen will never be perfect considering this alone and your confined space and insufficient lighting gear will just add on top of that.

Did you already considered scouting for a better location? One that you can use without the greenscreen?

Can I ask what kind of educational videos are you planning to do?

I ask this because the videos you're trying to make can work with plain backgrounds, sure. But one common technique is exactly to avoid plain backgrounds. You usually want textures, patterns and gradations of light intensity to obtain a tridimensional representation on a 2D plane (screen).

Do you have to shoot on your room? First think about what you pretend to say with your video. Next try to make some relations between your message and an idealised set. Make a list defining what would be the best shooting set for a certain type of educational video that you want to shoot. Then try to scout for a location that fills the most important items on your list and one where you can shoot.

Best bets tend to be locations with some depth and ones where you can already see, or add textures and various layers of information that would contribute to a tridimensional feeling without disturbing the main character (you).

One of the most effective ways to achieve that is a controlled depth of field. For that you will need to put the camera slightly away from you and use a higher focal distance on your zoom lens since the size of your camera's sensor (1/3"), won't help you achieve a shallow depth of field with ease.

Either way, grab a picture when done and post the results.

Edited by Alexandre de Tolan

Hello there again Alexandre!

Thank you very much for taking your time to provide your professional help. I highly appreciate it! :-)

I really have no other place to shoot this because of my life situation. I intend to shoot simplistic "self-help videos"

in an educational manner where I will stand using the rule of thirds so I can use text beside me through AE-edits.

And as you say; my background should add some professionalism to it through depth and gradients, but shouldn't

take away the focus from me who's talking. I also find that my lightning spread out very much so I was wondering to

get some "eggcrates" to be able to focus the light more. I am also wondering whether I should fix the white balance

to make my skin look more colored since I have very pale skin. Thank you very much once again for your reply! :-)

Take Care & Have An Awesome Day, Alexandre! / Max K.

You're going to need at least one more fixture to light you (talent) since your two soft boxes will be needed to light that greenscreen evenly so I wouldn't bother with eggcrates. Just flag them off the walls as needed because if they aren't white they will change the color of the light reflected by them and will cause you WB issues if you're trying to balance to your bulbs.

Besides that, check the CRI specs on your light bulbs. If they are on the low side you're going to have some difficulties with skin tones. If you want some color on your skin bounce the light that's hitting you on some fabric like unbleached muslin. You can add a 1/8 CTS onto your fixture if you find the need.

Edited by Alexandre de Tolan