Adam Frisch FSF

RIP Ossie Morris, BSC

A legend. And one of the English cinematographers that had a "modern" style similar to the new French wave cinematographers. He was ahead of his time. I personally was blown away by how simple and well lit and how contemporary his lighting was in films like The Odessa File and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. His Bond movie and classics like Guns of Navarone show that he was equally comfortable in a higher key, more traditional setup as well. Excellent career, excellent work.

One of my heroes -- his work in "Moulin Rouge", "Moby Dick", "The Taming of the Shrew", "Oliver!", "Fiddler on the Roof", etc. have been lifelong touchstones in my own work. He pioneered soft lighting and really was one of the first to use space lights on stages to recreate soft daylight.

He was one of the cinematographers interviewed in one of the first cinematography books I bought. Another is "The Hill", he was always trying different things, which made his films individual.