Beginner with basic questions involving Chroma Key

Hello,

I have done projects on and off over the years with chroma key using amateur tools like work lamps for lighting and Jo-Ann fabrics for the green screen. The results were less than ideal but worked well enough to produce the desired effect.

Coming up now is a project involving green-screening the entire exterior of cars, top to bottom, front to back. Because of the requirements, I am now looking to buy plentiful amount of green screen fabric in order to cover what is required for a full-size car or truck.

I have read through some of the threads here on cinematography.com and found good info concerning chroma keying and its idiosyncrasies. I had no idea that video encoding and picture resolution had such varied effects on the success of the key. That brings me to my questions.

I will be using a Sony HDR-CX300 Handycam for most of the shooting. From what I understand the video encoding it uses is AVCHD. What are some suggestions I should follow towards making the chroma keying more effective when it comes to processing the video?

And I also plan on using green fabrics from my local crafts store to provide for the green screen. I will most likely rig them up to an outdoor setup using PVC or the like. Apart from wind and sun, are there any other obstacles that may arise from using this cheaper alternative of green screen?

Thanks in advance,

Adnan