Filmmaking tips to make a giallo film look on the iphone 4s and understanding the apps

I'm having trouble understanding the difference between Filmic pro and Artemis viewfinder. I know that they are perfect apps for filmmaking on the iphone but don't know how to use. Plus I want my film look to be baroque and colorfully artistic looking that giallo can accomplish. I'm into the Italian cinema because of their lack of perfection of cinema. I just want to know which is the best app for the iphone 4s can make a perfect giallo, and baroque look on film?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Well done on taking on such an ambitious concept! Using HD, especially the cheap HD the iPhone camera provides, to create the incredibly rich visual style of those movies (yeah, I'm a fan too) is going to be tough if not impossible. As a post guy, I would recommend you study as much colorist technique as possible, and then just practice like a beast.

Good luck working with the two apps you listed, but I can assure you that you need a professional setup like Adobe CS or Avid to do what you're talking about. Both are impossible to buy, but you can rent them as long as you need them ($50 or $40 monthly, respectively). I'll leave it to those with more expertise on the matter of selecting a film quality HD camera to expound on that.

Filmic pro is an app which allows you greater control over the video camera in your iPhone. Artemis is an app which simulates the field of view of various different cinema lenses. They are two completely different pieces of software, with completely different uses.

Well done on taking on such an ambitious concept! Using HD, especially the cheap HD the iPhone camera provides, to create the incredibly rich visual style of those movies (yeah, I'm a fan too) is going to be tough if not impossible. As a post guy, I would recommend you study as much colorist technique as possible, and then just practice like a beast.

Good luck working with the two apps you listed, but I can assure you that you need a professional setup like Adobe CS or Avid to do what you're talking about. Both are impossible to buy, but you can rent them as long as you need them ($50 or $40 monthly, respectively). I'll leave it to those with more expertise on the matter of selecting a film quality HD camera to expound on that.

If you are talking about colour correction then I would point out you can download Resolve for free as long as you aren't going to go higher than 1080p

Resolve along with Baselight are probably the leading applications for colour correction.

There is a question as well as to what the O.P. means by "giallo" as I suspect you are thinking of the incredible works of Dario Argento, whereas the O.P. says "because of their lack of perfection of cinema" which implies something else to me. Although they also say "baroque and colorfully artistic" which makes things a bit confusing.

Freya

• Upvote 1

Good tips, Freya. I'll take a look at those programs!

As to giallo, it's a style of thriller indigenous to Italy in the 1970s. Not just Argento's work, but a ton of cheesy thrillers like "Lizard In A Woman's Skin", "Seven Bloodstained Orchids", "Don't Torture A Duckling", "Your Vice Is a Locked Room (and Only I Have The Key)" and so on. Search Netflix or your fave stream service for more titles.

As to giallo, it's a style of thriller indigenous to Italy in the 1970s. Not just Argento's work, but a ton of cheesy thrillers like "Lizard In A Woman's Skin", "Seven Bloodstained Orchids", "Don't Torture A Duckling", "Your Vice Is a Locked Room (and Only I Have The Key)" and so on. Search Netflix or your fave stream service for more titles.

Yeah I know what is is. I was just pointing out that not all of it is as amazing as Argento's films and was wondering if you were assuming the more beautiful end of things whereas the OP was maybe assuming the nastier looking stuff.

Dunno! :)

Was kinda hoping the O.P. would clarify but they seem to have lost interest in the thread! :)

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

I saw Tenebre a fews ago which I throughly enjoyed, I wish more of it was filmed in nyc but the opening for me was enjoyable as was the rest of the film, gotta love John Saxons hat in the movie. Check out these: House with Laughing Windows, In the Belly of a Black Tarantula( 3 bond girls are in this!, including the lovely Barbara Bouchet ) and Death Laid an Egg

• 2 months later...

If you are talking about colour correction then I would point out you can download Resolve for free as long as you aren't going to go higher than 1080p

Resolve along with Baselight are probably the leading applications for colour correction.

There is a question as well as to what the O.P. means by "giallo" as I suspect you are thinking of the incredible works of Dario Argento, whereas the O.P. says "because of their lack of perfection of cinema" which implies something else to me. Although they also say "baroque and colorfully artistic" which makes things a bit confusing.

Freya

Yes I'm a huge #1 fan of his work. I've been practicing mise en scene shots almost the exact replica of his films. But right now I don't have my iphone 4s anymore. Now I have a iPhone 5c. So what are the programs I can download for color correction and such that you explained?