Travel Day Rate

Hey Everyone,

This is the first time I've legitimately run into this problem. I'm loosing out on some work/precious pay on one job because of the out of town travel on another and of course they are not offering any pay for the travel day.

What is standard practice for travel days? I've heard some friends argue for a full day rate or half day rate. Also, what about shoots that are out of town and you have "days off?" Is it better to just negotiate a flat rate for the entire project?

Just wanted to get everyone else's opinion, maybe hear what the union standard is. I am by no means anywhere near union however.

Thanks,

• Premium Member

I think the thing is that spending a day dragging muscle-wrenching cases of gear through a selection of the world's least salubrious international airports while accruing jet lag and eating airline food often doesn't feel like a day off.

P

• Upvote 3

• Premium Member

Well those are travel days. I am speaking of days such as when you're on a feature and you're pulling 6 day weeks, and day 7 is hey let's all go do some laundry and sit at a pub at 10 am.

Travel days should be paid, says me, but then again I am rarely in a position to dictate such things.

Half day in my primary (sometimes film related) industry also ... But that is due to the fact that most domestic travel round this neck of the woods takes about half a day ;)

Any longer and I invoice a full day - think about it, you're not free to do what you choose - also it's common to get a travel allowance on top of the per diems.

aaaand finally, I'll mention that on more than one occasion the taxi fare from airport to hotel has been more than then cost of the flight so don't forget to collect receipts for these expenses that can sometimes fall on you to manage.

I simply send it all by email to a mid-level (often the only) accounts person with nothing much more than a smiley face for the body of the text. Theory is that it's more hassle for them to send it up to producer level than to simply pay it - no idea of the reality though !

;)

• 5 weeks later...