ArriRaw vs 709

Saba Mazloum

Hey,

Sorry for asking this question, I'm having a hard time trying to convince our director how its a no brainer to shoot raw vs 709. He claims it'll be a headache later in post because the colour timers in Asia aren't as good and never manage to get the same look on the set. I know i can set a LUT on set and confirm with him what he likes and later use that LUT in post. Still I'm having trouble convincing him, its not even a budget issue.

was wondering if anyone had some good comparison footage of Raw vs 709 with before and after the colour timing.

thanks!

• Premium Member

On one hand yes, on the other hand... if he doesn't want a huge convoluted post pathway, I can almost see his point. Almost. It depends very heavily on the nature of the show. If one wasn't convinced by the abilities of crew and post staff, one might shoot 709, and the ability of people to screw it up later is at least reduced.

P

• Site Sponsor

Arriraw is allot more data and you have to use the Codex, it's a good system but expensive as each Codex mag is about $7k for 512G which is about 40min of 2.8k Arriraw. There is nothing really wrong with Log ProRes444 for a low budget feature IMO.

Its a feature film, mid~big budget. But i would be screwing it up by shooting 709 the first place...

This is the dilema for the modern cinematographer you want to shoot raw to get the best possible images and the flexibility and power it brings but at the same time you are handing over that power to post where you might not always have that much control over things. I think it's very cool that your director is concerned about this stuff. Maybe he is painfully aware he doesn't have final cut or something.

The easy answer might be to just shoot film! ;)

Freya

• Upvote 1