Harris Savides - Last Days

quinn

The trailer for the new Gust Van Sant movie shot by Harris Savides is on the web. I'm very much looking forward to it, as I've enjoyed their last two collaborations together. It seems to follow the style they have been developing with bold compositions and natural lighting. Has anyone heard or seen clips of this film, or have insights to their approach on this film?

trailer here:

http://www.allocine.fr/webtv/acvision.asp?...yer=ASF&debit=T

I'm looking forwards to this one, I'll take all the Savides I can get! Just bought "Birth" on DVD today but haven't got a chance to watch it yet...

Does anyone know what aspect ratio this is supposed to be in? Obviously the trailer has a matte on it, but the film's listing on the IMDB has the aspect ratio at 1.37, I don't suppose anyone has seen it yet, but maybe someone knows which is correct? After "Elephant", I'd be very interested in seeing another film in Academy ratio from Van Sant and Savides, a little variety is always fun.

• Premium Member

I think although they shot it in Academy, they protected for 1.85 as well. I saw 'Elephant' 3 times in the cinema and once it was shown in 1.85 (I complained twice to no avail) and the fraiming looked alright, the headroom was still good.

• 1 month later...

hey all -

the US site for this film is up with a slightly differernt trailer. At one point it shows a tunnel very similar to the one in "Birth".

www.lastdaysmovie.com

• Premium Member

didn't catch it myself but know alot of people who saw it in cannes. depending on their own love for gus reactions were mixed. either way it is a challenge for the viewer. a single static 8 minute take of the lead dancing in his bedroom, from behind, to bowie (if my memory is correct) anyone?

keith

• Premium Member
hey all -

the US site for this film is up with a slightly differernt trailer.  At one point it shows a tunnel very similar to the one in "Birth".

www.lastdaysmovie.com

That trailer shows Cobain playing the guitar right-handed. Wonder why they wouldn't just reverse the image? Every Nirvana fan is gonna be asking the same question.

• Premium Member

I was quite dissapointed by 'Last Days'. I had high hopes, after 'Elephant' and 'Gerry', but wile the slow pace and long tracking shots of these films I found very engaging, in 'Last Day' it all was very tedious. I'm not sure why this approach didn't work so well here, maybe it was because the story didn't motivate all this movement of the actors and camera so much. Watching a spaced out musician stumbling through nature is just not very interesting. Also the jumping between different spaces in time that worked so well in 'Elephant' didn't add anything to the film in this case.

I think Last Days is the best of the 'fu**ed youth' trilogy. I felt it had more substance than the others. It's a really relaxing movie. Its suposed to be like a long heroin trip I think. There are some amazing shots/secuences. I saw it at Cannes in 1.37 aspect ratio. But I imagen that the theatrical relesae is in 1.85.

No Nirvana music in the movie, but i liked the way he used the Boys ll Men music video. Reminded me of Michael Haneke's Seventh Continent.

i hope i can find a place to show it in the intended aspect ratio. I love how savides has been composing shots in the narrow frame. He also seems to be using a lot of strong light on characters backs - often leaving their faces in near darkness. The wide stuff in the woods as the train passes looks beautiful. The train adds a nice sense of scale.

I'm sure some shots will feel long to me - the real time sunset in Gerry always does - but it has a nice effect. I love his past two movies, yet when I go to shoot my own projects I still find myself cramming in all of this plot and handheld work (in part, due to necessity). I wish I could just strip my storytelling down that much and then maybe work my way back towards plot from the minimalism.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i finally saw Last Days and although i was prepared to hate it i really found it beautiful. I think it ranks between Gerry and Elephant for me, but I'd like to see it again. Strangely, i didn't find this nearly as slow as the last two movies. There are more cuts and I found the action and images beautiful and interesting. Granted, I was a pretty big cobain fan so small details like the cigar box, walking through a nearby park, were all interesting as well. There is a strong motif of hunting in the film, from Blake's hunting cap and shotgun (obviously pulled from cobain) and the decor in the house. While he talks to a yellow pages salesman, talking about sucess, there is a painting on the wall of hunting dogs bringing down a giant deer. It seemed as close a visual representation of Nirvana's song "Rape Me" as you could get. I am not sure about the last 10 minutes, but would liek to watch it again. Savides' photography is beautiful and Michael Pitt does an excellent job.

• Premium Member

Haven't seen it yet, but I try to see everything Savides does.

Also am quite excited about him and Fincher teaming up for Zodiac. It's going to be shot on Viper, which could be quite interesting (even if I'd hoped for film).