Marantz PMD661 good recorder?

Vadim Joy

I've used a Zoom H4n and a Marantz PMD660; and the Marantz is better, hands down. Better battery life (especially on phantom power). Cleaner sound.

However, it's comparing apples and oranges. A Zoom gives pretty good sound for about a third the cost of the Marantz.

• Premium Member

Why spend a lot of money on an expensive recorder when you can get very good seperate component preamps? Tube pres sound really good and can color the voice with warmth if that is your thing. Even a basic Zoom or Tascam field recorder will sound fantastic with one of these preamps. Spend your serious money on a good mic, pole, and shock mount. It will be better spent than trying to get awesome pres on a recorder.

I already have not bad Shure field mixer, forgot to mention. It just feels like you're throwing money away with Zoom H4N, no offense Zoom People. Everybody I know who owns Zooms recorders want to upgrade either to Marantz or Sony recorders. Coincidence?

• Premium Member

It just feels like you're throwing money away with Zoom H4N, no offense Zoom People. Everybody I know who owns Zooms recorders want to upgrade either to Marantz or Sony recorders. Coincidence?

Zoom H4N is overrated IMO. I have compared them to Tascam field recorders (which are cheaper; hell the DR-05 is only $60 new at Guitar Center right now) and there seems to be no audible difference that I or anyone else I have talked with can tell. This is, however, assuming a setup that uses a seperate preamp and whatnot. Even the old adage of needing XLR into recorder seems to be bunk as that most important part to have XLR is from mic to preamp. The output on the preamp can be XLR to TRS and it is no different. Some people like to throw money away.

Even the old adage of needing XLR into recorder seems to be bunk as that most important part to have XLR is from mic to preamp.

Good luck with that 3.5mm jack on Tascam. I wonder how long can you use it until you will have to buy another unit.