Leica V Lux

Alex Stelmacovich

I currently don't have much knowledge at all regarding video, but am looking to get in to it. I have a very limited budget but will be going to Thailand at the end of the month and hope to get some footage. I know someone selling a Leica V Lux 1 for cheap, it seems to be a good choice.

A sample of the type of footage I hope to achieve is linked here:

I realize that this is made on film and to achieve that myself will require lots of editing work. I just wanted some opinions on how viable this is with the Leica V Lux, or any other entry level camera. If it isn't, I'm fine to hear it, I just am having trouble finding information.

Any advice is much appreciated.

I've never heard of anyone using a Leica V Lux 1 for video. Looking at the specs, it seems like the sensor is very very small. You're also probably paying a lot more just to get the Leica name.

A better option for a similar price is a Canon APS-C DSLR like the T2i, T3i, T4i, or the 60D. A Panasonic GH2 or GH3 may also be a good option. These cameras have much larger sensors and allow you to use a wide array of different lenses.

By "very very small" I mean in relation to the sensor on a DSLR. The V Lux's sensor is about the same size as a prosumer video camera. However, with a prosumer video camera you'd get a similar image plus all kinds of controls that you wouldn't get with a still camera.