ALexa RAW or Epic Dragon for VFX?

If you need to choose a camera not for its "cinematography visual quality" , but for its posibilities when shooting a person in green screen . Which is the best? The raw of the Alexa or the 6K of the Epic? And If you need to crop an image?

The thing is that we are deciding which camera use for a feature film . The vfx team are asking to go with Epic becasuse of its 5K . The movie has a lot of VFX . Last year they compared epic 5k and alexa logC , and they say its better the 5k of the epic . The thing is I would like to know if the raw of the ALexa plus its aproxametely the same as 5k epic or 6k drgaon . Cause someone told me , Alexa's raw is 3.5K and Epic's 5K is not really 5K ...

The camera used for VFX photography doesn't have to be the camera used for the rest of the film. This sounds like it could be a case of the tail wagging the dog. Of course, it also doesn't matter if you have 5K and you're shooting through glass that gives you a poor edge at the actor/screen border. Or if the footage is noisy as hell.

I'm doing work with Epic footage now and though I'm getting improved results by exporting from RED Cine-X myself to ACES EXR, rather than bang my head against the wall with the really awful state of the footage from either default or filmmaker meta+grade settings, it's still really noisy and wholly unimpressive after working with scanned film for most of my career. I start poking around in the blacks and it looks very similar to underexposed GH2 footage.

• 1 month later...

Both Cameras will give you good results. However I find the blue channel of the Alexa less noisy than the Epic. As long you shoot RAW Log C you should be able to get some decent mattes (keying) on your shots... Make sure you follow the debayer process. It always could go incredibly wrong when converting RAW files to DPX or EXR....

Personally I would stick with the Alexa only throughout the film.

• Premium Member

the epic may be a little easier to rig sideways for vertical plates (for example a person standing upright and not moving much, something falling down, etc) , also has more high speed options.

the 4:3 alexa sensor is also good for green screen work, though, and does not need oddball rigging...