Question about HDR video

Pradeep Reddy

I am interested in exploring HDR in video. I have seen some examples and I understand the basic concept of how it is created but the sources I found are very basic and even dated. I am very excited about the possibilities but I am unable to find good resources

So does anyone here have any good resources for making HDR video? Even examples would be great.

What is the best setup to achieve professional level HDR? Is it very expensive?

Also what is your opinion in general about HDR in video ?

Thank you

Guest Ilovemycam

I love hyper real HDR still photos, but didn’t know it can be done with video. Most of the HDR stills I do is via a 3 exposure adjustment in Lightroom, then combining the 3 in Photomatix. The traditional Hdr technique with stills is to make multiple + / - exposures in-camera and combine.

As I shoot street photos I don’t have the luxury of multiple in-camera exposures. They do have software that will make somewhat decent HDR’s without the Lightroom work. They are called pseudo-HDR. But single image HDR stills come out better if you make the Lightroom exposures and combine.

How do they do it with video? Is it just a software effect? Or does it involve mutiple exposures?

Here is a couple of my HDR stills. Both single image hyper real HDR's

http://danielteolijrcurrent.tumblr.com/image/41300935147

Forthcoming cover photo for artists' book

(nsfw)

http://danielteolijrcurrent.tumblr.com/image/56968514491

Edited by Ilovemycam

It's not my video, but it's basically using a tone mapping technique similar to what you see folks using in Photoshop to create the HDR look with a single exposure, like if you were going after a Dragan style. Often these techniques involve blending at least two copies of the footage together using the OVERLAY blending/transfer mode.

Micro-contrast is pushed and highlights become almost metallic.

Edited by Sean Cunningham

Thank you for your comments.

So here is what I learned until now from various websites, plz correct me if I am wrong

1. HDR can be done using Magic lantern but motion blur is an issue with moving subjects

2. HDRx in Red Cameras is cool and I think it works better than ML but still has some motion blur issues

3. Tonemapping is another option but it takes a lot of effort and gives an halo effect around foreground (if not done properly) and also if we push it too much we run the risk of noise.

If anyone has knowledge working with HDRX in Red, how does it work for simple dialogue scenes? little moment but not exactly an action sequence?