help, metal spring belts for Mitchell?

phil hastings

I'm in the middle of shooting an animation project and my Mitchell GC's metal spring has sprung. It is still in one piece, but has developed a kink. I don't know how this happend, maybe when putting it on or taking it off the magazine's wheel. First question, will the kink be a cause of slippage affecting the exposture time or timing in any way or will it just be noisy? I have limited knowledge of the Mitchell as this is my first project with one. Two, should I be in the market for a replacement? I can not be down to long as I am on a tight schedule right now. Three, any leads on where to find replacement belts and would a rubber or other material be better then the metal springs?

thanks

phil

• Premium Member
I'm in the middle of shooting an animation project and my Mitchell GC's metal spring has sprung. It is still in one piece, but has developed a kink. I don't know how this happend, maybe when putting it on or taking it off the magazine's wheel. First question, will the kink be a cause of slippage affecting the exposture time or timing in any way or will it just be noisy? I have limited knowledge of the Mitchell as this is my first project with one. Two, should I be in the market for a replacement? I can not be down to long as I am on a tight schedule right now. Three, any leads on where to find replacement belts and would a rubber or other material be better then the metal springs?

thanks

phil

Phil,

A damaged belt COULD effect exposures. You could make one out of leather as original. However most people use the spring ones. Try www.frieseng.com (Its no longer Doug Fries) the guys who used to work there can sell you a new one. The contact info still works.

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

• Premium Member

You may be headed for the garment district. Leather belt material can be found from an industrial sewing machine company. This being animation, though, you can even limp along without a takeup belt. Just turn the pulley by hand. It won't affect exposure or anything else, it's just there to roll up the exposed film.

-- J.S.

Guest NCSProducts
I'm in the middle of shooting an animation project and my Mitchell GC's metal spring has sprung. It is still in one piece, but has developed a kink. I don't know how this happend,

Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for "spring belt"

They are very reasonable on shipping, and no minimum order.

- Dom

NCS Products

http://www.intervalometers.com/

Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for "spring belt"

They are very reasonable on shipping, and no minimum order.

- Dom

NCS Products

http://www.intervalometers.com/

Well I replied but I guess I did something wrong as it never posted. This site is great. I appreciate the replies. I talked to the Fries Engineering guys. Mark Wheeler was very informative and passed my request on to Bob who's last name I didn't get. By the way the number to call for them is not what is posted on the website but the following: 818.252.7708 Not 7700 as is still listed on the website. I think I'm leaning towards John's response as I am doing animation and everything seems to be winding ok in the magazine. I'll live with the kink for a while longer. Dom, you helped me out a few weeks ago by responding to an aparent urgent need for a new animation controller. Nice to see you frequenting this site too. I had just gotten done looking at McMaster and found the springs when I read you reply. It's a great resource for parts.

thanks again everyone.

phil

As the recent proud owner of a Mitchell Hi Speed GC , could you tell me the actual spring-belt code if you purchase one from McMasters?

And just for reference what is the actual loop length & thickness of the official Mitchell belt as I'm reluctant to pull my only one out of the body!

• Premium Member
And just for reference what is the actual loop length & thickness of the official Mitchell belt as I'm reluctant to pull my only one out of the body!

Hi ,

I have just measured the belts as follows:-

400' 44cm or 17 5/16 inches by 1/8 inch

1000' 58.2cm 0r 22 7/8 inches by 1/8 inch

That is undone in a straight line.

Stephen Williams DP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com