Bran Nizo 481 Macro Funny Acting Light Meter Question (s)

Cynthia Almanzar

Hi Everybody. This is my first post here but I've been looking around for a couple of weeks. All of you inspire me to join because you are very knowledgeable and helpful. So, I thought I should take advantage of that :)

I just got my first super 8 camera on eBay. I put in new batteries and the camera runs at all speeds. I loaded some marked film just to make sure that the film was transporting and that also went well. However, when I put in new batteries for the light meter the indicator wouldn't move. I pressed the battery test button, put on manual mode and nothing happened. I looked in the battery compartment, even cleaned it, entered the batteries every way I could. Nothing. The indicator stayed at f1.8 at all times. To make an already long story short, I ended up banging the camera on the left side. Stupid reaction out frustration but as fate would have it the indicator moved. I banged it back and forth a little bit more and suddenly the thing worked!

The battery test worked. I walked under different lighting conditions and the auto exposure seemed to be working. I set the exposure manually and it also worked. To this moment the light meter seems to be fine. Now, my questions is: What could be the cause of the malfunction? Do I need to take it to Du-All for service? Do I run a test and if it works, leave at that?

What do you think guys?

Thank you!

Edited by Cynthia Almanzar

It's like a 40 year old camera. Probably a bad solder joint somewhere, and giving it a whack made a proper connection temporarily. If you're lucky it might be near the battery contacts and you might be able to fix it yourself without having to take the camera apart. More likely it's somewhere inside the camera though. A serious cleaning and overhaul might be necessary no matter what.

But if you shoot a test roll and everything seems to work you might also choose to just live with it and use a handheld meter with the camera in manual mode. That's probably what I'd do.

It might also not be electrical at all - since the meter display uses a physical needle, it's possible that was just stuck and a good smack loosened up whatever had it frozen in place.

-perry

Edited by Perry Paolantonio

The exact same thing happens with my 481 macro. First time was a few years ago, whacked the side out of frustration, just like you did, and it worked fine for 5 more years. But in the last year I've had to tap start the light meter twice. I don't really see it as a big issue. If the camera starts to be too troublesome I'd hunt down another 481M, since it has to be the most feature packed, compact camera with great optics.

Perry.

I will do the test roll exposing manually and see how I goes. I expected to have to take for service because even if it is a simple thing I don't feel comfortable opening up myself. The only thing is I'm a bit short on cash and hope the camera continues to work until I can take it to get serviced.

Anthony,

That's so odd the very same thing happen to you. Maybe the issue is not uncommon for this camera? I'm impressed the camera ran for 5 years after that. I hope im get that lucky. I hear you about the camera. I took a lot of reading on super 8 before I decided on this one.

Thank you for your responses, guys. I really appreciated it.