Your Preference - Storing SR-series Camera With or Without Mag Attached?

Karl Lee

Back when I was an AC and worked with Aaton cameras, we always stored the camera body without any mags attached, regardless of whether we were just packing up for the day or shipping a camera cross-country. In fact, our cases were built in such a way that the camera body could only be stored without any mags attached.

Now that I'm an SR3 owner, I thought I'd ask other SR-series camera owners this question. Do you typically store and transport your camera with a mag attached, or do store the mags and camera body separately? It's noted even in the official Arri SR3 instruction manual that the camera can be safely stored and transported with a magazine attached, and some of the Arri-manufactured cases even show the camera stored in this configuration, but I'm curious about how others store their SR camera body.

As I'm looking to pick up some new Pelican cases to replace the fully functional yet bulky case that came with my SR3 package, I though I'd ask around. Personally, having been so accustomed to storing cameras with the mags detached, I'm more inclined to go this route with my camera. It just seems that for many reasons, storing the mags and camera body separately in a camera case is the safest way to go.

• Premium Member

our rental house always stores the sr:s with mag attached and the transport cases are also made for that. also for example 35bl-series cameras.

maybe if shipping is very harsh (air transport, etc. where they really smash the cases for fun) it may be good to ship the sr without the mag...

• Premium Member

I keep my own SR3 w/o mag attached, most times, however leaving it on has also never hurt a thing and I have this custom briefcase for air travel carry on which'll hold the body attached with 1 Mag, which is nice and how I fly it.