Need Help identifying lens mount

Hi all,

I have a blackmagic pocket cinema camera, Im looking to invest in some old Super 16mm glass, I see an interesting one on ebay, but have no idea what lens mount it is.

Can anyone help me with this?

Do you know what lens mount it is? Would it work with an adaptor on BMPCC, would the lens at its widest be able to cover the BMPCC without any vignetting?

Link to the Lens: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANGENIEUX-12mm-120mm-Vintage-Zoom-Lens-Blackmagic-BMCC-Bolex-BARGAIN-/231231013065?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item35d67140c9

With thanks

Mark

It's a dog leg Angineux, and looks like the mount is missing. It was probably C-mount, originally.

Pass on it. The dog leg (a separate viewfinder) is missing, and will leak light like crazy. The mount is missing. You could theoretically build an adapter, but I doubt you could buy one premade. Certainly not cheaply. Unless you have access to a machine shop, it's more trouble than its worth.

And no, it would not cover the BMPCC across the whole range without vignetting. It's a R16mm lens, and the camera has a S16 sensor. I'd assume it'll vignette around 12mm.

• Premium Member

Fungus=bad

water= bad

and again wont cover sensor through it's range and is a dog leg lens which is kind pointless.

I have a 17.5~something (forget off of hand) in C mount lens, similar, with fungus, which Is 100% unusable for anything but "interesting" shots. Difference was mine was free from a cam shop going out of business.

You may be better off looking for some old 2/3" eng glass, which may even cover some of the wide (though probably not) else you're looking at a pretty penny for a S16mm zoom.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, you want to avoid a dog leg lens for a BMPCC. You're not going to be using it for framing, and you lose light by having it there. I can't remember how much, I want to say 2/3 of a stop. They're great for old R8 and R16 cameras that don't have reflex viewing. But since it isn't a terribly fast lens to begin with,

You can easily get adapters for C-mount or Arri Standard for the BMPCC, but you'll have an easier time if you buy 35mm primes and accept the cropping.

That said, I removed fungus from a Kowa scope lens with isopropyl alcohol and tripled the value.

But no, those were custom mounts and I'd want them for car boot prices. You certainly wouldn't be up and running the next day.

Maybe for an Auricon, something like that? Certainly not for S16 as he claims- he's probably just repeating what he was told.

You could try an offer because he doesn't know what he's got or he'd price the 9.5 higher than the 12.

Thanks everyone, for the responses, we're just going to look into a B4 to Micro 4/3 adaptor and use some of our old ENG lenses.Am I think I'm right in thinking that zooming in just past the vignetting would still give us a wilder field of view than most cropped 35mm wides?

Thanks Adrian for reiterating about the Fungus/water thing.

Appreciate all the input, it's helped a ton.

• Premium Member

No. A 35mm is a 35mm is a 35mm. So even if you zoomed past the vignetting you're still at say (on my own ENG Canon) around 25mm. But I could just throw on a 16mm prime I have and be set.

Perhaps you should look into Rokinon Cine lenses? They won't be zooms, but they are damned wide.

You know, I can imagine a reactionary, survivalist movement that wanted to keep directly connected to those frisky photons and saw a dog leg finder as a way to do it. Re Zac's comment on the light leak without the finder fitted, you can normally fit a cap, it's light tight. The first one I looked at above looked like a C mount, but I couldn't make out the threads.

12-120 almost vignettes on standard 16, the other lens I'm not sure. Some eBay sellers are pretty cheeky, just using the BMPC idea to hook a customer.

• Premium Member

I've seen Auricons with those lenses, the shiny lock ring bit screws them onto a C mount base that is locked onto the camera. Not much use without that part. The finder will divert about a third of the light even if you cover the end with a cap, so the T stop is slower than a non-reflex version of the same lens. Combine all that with fungus and you've got a pretty neat doorstop!

The 15-150 is the only older Angenieux zoom that covers S16, outside of rather rare beasts like the 11-66 or 16-44. Newer zooms made for S16 are generally much more pricy. Partially covering zooms like the 12-120 are a bit of a pain because they might cover down to 15mm when you're focussed at infinity but at close focus they'll vignette at maybe 40mm.