Best Super 8 processor/scanner

Geoffrey Chandler

• Site Sponsor

Film Frame to Camera sync and rolling shutter skew will be an issue with ML RAW and a old projector, all real film scanners are global shutter which is synced to frame also it won't be stabilized by the perf i.e. optical pin registration. Also there will be issues scanning negative with color balance and scratching as negative is softer than reversal.

That said it's a cheap way to do the job but without proper illumination and global shutter and registration it's not in the same class as a dedicated scanner.

I'm using a Canon DSLR (60D) in my custom film to digital setup. 5K raw captures on each frame. Doing Super8, Ultrapan8 and 16mm. Given the finite lifetime on the shutter mechanism I just treat the camera as disposable. But in order to maximise it's lifetime I set the mirror shutter to remain open for an entire capture session (just leave camera in Live View mode). The back shutter still operates on a per frame basis but I set it to "silent mode 2" which I assume is mechanically a lot gentler (as it sounds a lot gentler). Either way my philosophy is that if and when the shutter dies I just get a new camera.

For Super8 I use a modified Super8 projector, operated with a stepper motor, and for UP8 and 16mm I use a NAC analysis projector, both of which are computer operated for frame by frame transfer. I'm using an LED array as the light source (computer controlled).

I think the results I'm getting are just as good as a dedicated scanner if not better since I'm in control of everything.

Edited by Carl Looper

• 3 weeks later...

My first Super 8 shoot since I was 16 years old.

Camera - Used from eBay - Beauleau 4008 ZM II

Film - From B&H - Kodak Vision III 50D

Processor - CineLab

Scanner - Gamma Ray Digital

Color grading - Sony Vegas

http://vimeo.com/97923837

I'm very pleased with the quality. I used a tripod in all shots so I assumed I'd have very stable looking images but I forgot there would be a little film-gate shudder. Still looks pretty cool. I could have spent more time grading the color but I was in a hurry last night after UPS finally delivered the long awaited hard-drive.

I have 6 more rolls on their way and I'm lining up an outdoor wedding to shoot this Saturday - no charge to client - for the experience and for (hopefully) good sample footage.

• Upvote 1

My first Super 8 shoot since I was 16 years old.

Camera - Used from eBay - Beauleau 4008 ZM II

Film - From B&H - Kodak Vision III 50D

Processor - CineLab

Scanner - Gamma Ray Digital

Color grading - Sony Vegas

http://vimeo.com/97923837

I'm very pleased with the quality. I used a tripod in all shots so I assumed I'd have very stable looking images but I forgot there would be a little film-gate shudder. Still looks pretty cool. I could have spent more time grading the color but I was in a hurry last night after UPS finally delivered the long awaited hard-drive.

I have 6 more rolls on their way and I'm lining up an outdoor wedding to shoot this Saturday - no charge to client - for the experience and for (hopefully) good sample footage.

You've got some great shots there! Gamma Ray Digital and the LaserGraphics ScanStation are the best things to ever happen to Super 8. Nice job on the coloring.

The Super 8 "jitter" really is the only reason I still use 16mm. The image stability is just so far superior and the jitter just so annoying (especially with tripod/steadycam shots.

Outdoor weddings are where Super 8 really shines! E100D and Velvia50D reversals were the best for it (sadly no longer available), but Vision350D negative is amazing! Good luck, cannot wait to see the clips!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I was going to shoot a wedding in 16mm a couple months ago and I brought my SR2 and tons of gear. When I got there, it was crazy dark and un-filmable without major disruption. I shot with a BMPCC which isn't exactly low-light friendly either but the results were really good. Always have a backup! Bring 500T and 50D.

Another idea is to pass out cheap Super 8 cameras to people in the wedding and have them film it. You'll wind up with 80% out-of-focus junk, but the other 20% will be golden. Plus you supplement it with what you shoot and you can get some very cool stuff. Canon A310xl's are good for this. They sell for $25-$50 and are autofocus. (you need to explain that they have to release the trigger and pull it again if subjects move closer or farther away).

Here's a sample of that type of shooting:

I was going to shoot a wedding in 16mm a couple months ago and I brought my SR2 and tons of gear. When I got there, it was crazy dark and un-filmable without major disruption. I shot with a BMPCC which isn't exactly low-light friendly either but the results were really good. Always have a backup! Bring 500T and 50D.

Another idea is to pass out cheap Super 8 cameras to people in the wedding and have them film it. You'll wind up with 80% out-of-focus junk, but the other 20% will be golden. Plus you supplement it with what you shoot and you can get some very cool stuff. Canon A310xl's are good for this. They sell for $25-$50 and are autofocus. (you need to explain that they have to release the trigger and pull it again if subjects move closer or farther away).

Some good advice. Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Hey guys,

Chiming in on behalf of Frame Discreet, the studio I created.

Our collective of Cinematographers wanted a means of transferring our own films with full control that met our demanding requirements.

Been doing this since 2004 and we just upgraded our system. After much testing and comparisons.. Chose the lasergraphics scanstation 5k 8/16/35 model. I flew out to LA for 2 days of rigorous tests and was blown away by their engineering team. Literally untouchable for stability and quality.

After getting our last bit of personal financing in place, they shipped our scanner just in time for 2015. We had them come down to Toronto and do the install and training last week. My team couldn't stop hugging me all day long because of just how easy the scanner is to operate and how nice the image is to work with in post.

We had a special invitation sent out and a colorist from deluxe and CSC Cinematographer friends came by to check it out.

Needless to say, I was beaming with inside satisfaction when I saw their reactions.

Sorry, just super excited about all of this!

Feel free to hit us up, we just love film!

All the best,

Justin Lovell

Cinematographer Assoc CSC

WWW.FRAMEDISCREET.COM transfers/grading

WWW.JUSTINLOVELL.COM reel

Shipping from us to Canada I would not recommend ups or DHL. FedEx, Canada post, purolator have all been reliable for us. Label film as *no Comercial value* home movies to be returned to sender. If you're comfortable cross border shipments always come through duty free If valued under $20.

Xrays is always a concern, but haven't seen too many issues with mail. If flying with your film, airport security seems to be more of a concern. I tell them it's movie film rated at 1000asa. (lab is pushing it 2 stops if they question the Asa on the packaging). And ask for a hand check.

We have a local lab here - niagaracustomlab.com you can send the film there for processing along with a hard drive and they can forward it to us.

We just require you to fill out the order form on the prices page of our website.

Working out final pricing on 4k, but for special advanced pricing, hit us up on the contact page of our website :)

Justin Lovell

Cinematographer Assoc CSC

WWW.FRAMEDISCREET.COM transfers/grading

WWW.JUSTINLOVELL.COM reel

• 3 weeks later...
  • Site Sponsor

Just to update Cinelab is now offering 2K Data scans of Super-8mm from our Xena servo scanner we will be offering Standard-8mm 2K data shortly with a software update.

These are scanned with a 3.4K Kodak sensor and RGB+IR LED Illumination.

we are upgrading that to a faster 4K+ Kodak sensor in the next month or two and then we will offer 2K and Ultra-HD scans of small gauge film. This machine also scans 16mm (R16, U16 and S16) and all 35mm formats 2-Perf, 3-Perf and 4-Perf.

Samples on request and I will have Scan samples of all of our scanners available soon.

• 1 month later...

I've done commercial 16 and super 8 done at Spectra on their Spirit with great results. Beautiful, crisp pictures from their custom Spirit super 8 gate. The 16mm - every bit as good as much more expensive places I have tried. You should check out the samples on their website.