RIP Gordon Willis

Ah, really!!? what a shame! I wasn'even aware he was ill. Conrad Hall called him "The Prince of Darkness" for his work on The Godfather movies and he truly was in the most wonderful way. His lighting MADE that film cinematically and I've tried to emulate his work every chance I get. His term "Dumptruck Editing" was inspirional to me for showing how important having a vision to a director really is and help define the problems of the modern Hollywood system. I morn his passing. He was one of my most favorite cinematographers and I would have killed to have a genius like that on my set. I'll miss his inspiration and work.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Got a chance to work for him once in the early 90's. The older technicians (at the time) and electricians really revered and respected him unlike I have not quite seen since.

His work was awesome, but at times I think many try to replicate it and they never really get it. I always though his work affects jobs in NY in an interesting way where baylights are often used as a standard. The few times I have worked in LA, I don't see baylights nearly as much. But my time in LA is relatively short.

Best

Tim

Certainly he was a genius, with an artist's eye, but also - from what I gather from his various interviews (like the one above) - rather a practical, down to earth fellow. (Ask some older technicians what Gordon meant by "Cape Cod Lighting.)

I remember Gordon asking Bobby Ward, his Key Grip to have us build him these home made lights called bay lights, he said no more chicken coops for me.....lol,...i must have made thousands over the years since then.