BMD Pocket Cinema Camera Lens Suggestions?

Ernie Zahn

Hi all,

I have a project coming up and I want to upgrade my equipment. I'm looking at the BMD Pocket Cinema Camera. I'm liking the reviews and videos I've seen on YouTube.

I'm new to the world of MFT, I have a budget of around $1600. I'm going to get an adapter for my EF lenses but I was thinking about getting an MFT as well. Something with image stabilization would be great. Will mostly be using the lens for medium-close ups.

• 1 month later...

Hey Ernie - How long is your project/how many days of principle photo will you have? I am new to the BMPCC; the $999 price point is great, but to get a full rig off the ground its going to cost you closer to $2500, especially if you want to shoot handheld/exteriors...unless you already have enough modular items to build onto the camera. I have a lot of EF glass with a Kipon adapter (waiting to order the EF speedbooster) but depending on what you are shooting a m43 (zoom with a range) that gives you wide capabilities may be a necessity, increasing costs.

Heres what I have with my pocket cam:

Kipon adapter (i dont own any m43 lenses...sigma 18-35mm is my wide)

Ikan Tilta rig

Atomos Ninja 2 (unfortunately my monitor as well)

HItachi 500GB 2.5" HD (and few 64GB SD cards)

3 generic batts

• Premium Member

I love my BMPCC, but costs between $2500 - $4k to build a good kit. The camera is pretty much the last thing to worry about because its back to being all about glass. I'd focus more on having a decent setup; shoulder rig, glass, matte box/follow focus, sound equipment and then camera.

I did a good explanation about the differences between the pocket camera and a DSLR on my web site.

http://www.welovemotocross.com/equipment-2/

Edited by Tyler Purcell

Lens wise, I'd go for the Speedbooster adapter for Nikon and the 16-40 or 17-40, as well as a 50mm prime. You don't have to buy Nikon brand lenses, but I'd also suggest looking at vintage Nikon primes instead of zooms. Vintage glass looks beautiful on the BMPCC, and Nikon never changed their mount, so they're still usable on the Speedbooster. I used a friend's vintage Nikon macro for a couple shots on a film and it was beautiful.

Well the O.P. is asking about smart lenses with built in stablisation.

I don't know much about actual Micro4/3 lenses although there are those really popular panasonic pancake lenses.

In relation to the expense of lenses for the BMPCC, I shouldn't say this but you can get Canon FD lenses for very low prices.

In fact there are a wide range of options depending on your taste in lenses.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member

Lens wise, I'd go for the Speedbooster adapter for Nikon and the 16-40 or 17-40, as well as a 50mm prime. You don't have to buy Nikon brand lenses, but I'd also suggest looking at vintage Nikon primes instead of zooms. Vintage glass looks beautiful on the BMPCC, and Nikon never changed their mount, so they're still usable on the Speedbooster. I used a friend's vintage Nikon macro for a couple shots on a film and it was beautiful.

The Nikon 17-35 is another great option we've talked about here.

If you have Nikon glass or access to it, the Speedbooster is a great option. I have that and a PL adapter, but I've used the Nikon glass much more than any PL glass; the speed boost is extremely helpful with this camera.

Awesome! Thanks for all this help info folks. My budget just got an $800 increase. Now I'm wondering if it would be good to aim for the regular 2.5k cinema camera. I already own EF lenses as well as an EF to T-mount adapter for some old manual T-mount lenses. I'm wondering if this might be better move to get to a working kit rather than investing in a whole new lens family with MFT?

• Premium Member

The problem with the EF lenses is that they don't have an external aperture adjustment. So you're relying on using the camera body to adjust the aperture. Also, the EF lenses generally don't have repeatable focus. Some EF lenses have major focus shifts when you even touch the lens.

In terms of which camera to buy, I've used the standard body BMC and its bulky. The extra resolution isn't worth the size increase in my view. The 2.5 still doesn't have a global shutter, it doesn't have a removable battery and the screen is worthless outdoors. So basically, indoors, closed environment with electricity, it works OK. But with the pocket camera, you can fill your pockets with SD card's and batteries, that will allow you to run for hours and hours.

I'd buy the pocket camera and invest on cinema glass. The results are far better then using standard DSLR EF glass.

• Premium Member

The Speedbooster is almost a necessity with this camera. I realize Nikon mount doesn't make sense for everyone, but getting full manual aperture control and those extra stops really makes a difference on all the Blackmagic cameras.

2.5k maybe helpful, but investing in the best glass with either camera will make the biggest difference.

I have used Contax Zeiss lenses with BMPCC. Most of this was shot with 50mm 1.7 and 28mm 2.8, some shots with switar 16mm

Speedbooster certainly helps since while there are many cheap good SLR lenses available, fast wide lenses are rare.

Unfortunately I don't own one since I don't own a BMPCC either -- if there was one for C-mount I would certainly invest in one (since then I could use it with my Eclair ACL as well ;))

Edited by Heikki Repo

I would highly recommend the metabones speedbooster also. It turns the camera almost into a super35 camera (1.75crop) and with over an extra stop of light. Plus I find older lenses suit the camera and impart an even more cinematic image to go along with the great dynamic range of the camera.

There is also an active EF speedbooster coming out soon (July) but as mentioned the usual issues with non cinema lenes occur.

There is also of course the super16 lenses (some of which I have) and the slr magic 12mm is aparently very good.

Image stabilization is great but I think it's noticable to be honest.

.... Most of this was shot with 50mm 1.7 and 28mm 2.8, some shots with switar 16mm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbYALVomB0E&list=PLGhgiwa6lnLip2bWlYwXMzAL21Ez6p8Dg.......

(off topic alert)

Heiki,

Every time you post a clip I learn something inferentially about young culture in Northern Europe. Something quite interesting in an otherwise arid field of recent posts on the forum. Thanks.

Cheers,

Gregg.

• 2 weeks later...

The Speedbooster is almost a necessity with this camera. I realize Nikon mount doesn't make sense for everyone, but getting full manual aperture control and those extra stops really makes a difference on all the Blackmagic cameras.

2.5k maybe helpful, but investing in the best glass with either camera will make the biggest difference.

^This. Nikon F mount is certainly *the* way to go in my opinion!

Get the RJ Lens Turbo:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9086/rj-lens-turbo-m43-adapters/p1

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

This will very comfortably come under budget.

If you want to spend a bit more then get the Rokinon 85mm f/1.8 and/or replace the Tamron with instead the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8

Edited by David Peterson

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the helpful info, I'm definitely going to invest in a metabones speedbooster.

Just as an update I ended up ordering the BMCC, I have a family of excellent condition and fast Rokkor lenses with an MD to EF adapter. And I just bought an old 16mm cine lens. As well as a few other things for the rig. I'm going to get an external battery soon. I've been messing around with it and it's looking very nice.

I also ordered the BMPCC on that $495 sale, pretty much on the first day of the sale but I'm back ordered to September, which will make things tricky for my project. I may just stick with one camera and put that $495 toward a speedbooster for the BMCC.

Again, thank you all. This has really helped the research and decision making process.

I first ordered it at the sale price from a 3rd party on Amazon and they canceled our order because they decided they took more orders than they cared to handle.

Then I jumped to the next place I could think of which was B&H photo. As soon as my Amazon order was canceled I immediately ordered one with B&H.

They first said 2-3 days, a week later it was 2-4 weeks, as of this week it is 4-8 weeks! Production starts Sept. 3rd which is why I'm thinking of canceling and just investing more in the BMCC I already have. I'm a little disappointed. B&H has said I'm still secure with my place in line but as the days pass, it doesn't feel like it.

Did Adorama give you an ETA?

Edited by Ernie Zahn

I ordered mine on July 23rd, and back then I think the delay it had on the product page was a few weeks.

Now there is now specific date given for new orders:

http://www.adorama.com/BMCCP.html

On my order status page it doesn't say anything specific.

But I did reach out to them just now on Twitter to ask about when it might be:
https://twitter.com/TersoIT/status/494455650819121152

I think B&H got orders numbering in the thousands and thousands? I went for Adorama instead because I felt they're a big enough place they'll still be big enough to fulfill heaps of orders, but they're not as prominent as B&H which will struggle under the brunt of the orders.

We'll have to wait and see as to how my logic goes.... :-P

I expect that you'll still get yours (relatively!) soon, as you ordered within the first 24hrs? I kinda thought you'd have got yourself already. Probably whenever the next shipment from Blackmagic Design arrives then you'll get yours?

Edited by David Peterson

They said one shipment arrived yesterday and another arrives on the 1st.

They also said, they can't be sure how many are coming in or in what condition. "What condition"? Perhaps suggesting that they are so severely rushed that they might be defective? Or perhaps Blackmagic will be so desperate to get them in on time that they will literally throw the cameras through the plate glass window from a speeding van like a newspaper delivery. :rolleyes:

In either case, the customer service at B&H said don't bank on my order being processed with yesterday's or Friday's shipments. He didn't say it was impossible, he said he just didn't want to get my hopes up. So I guess he needed crush them just to be on the safe side. :P

I've been longing to try out a half-decent ENG zoom on one.

P

Check out people who use B4 mount lenses on Micro Four Thirds cameras:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/B4onM43/

They also said, they can't be sure how many are coming in or in what condition. "What condition"? Perhaps suggesting that they are so severely rushed that they might be defective? Or perhaps Blackmagic will be so desperate to get them in on time that they will literally throw the cameras through the plate glass window from a speeding van like a newspaper delivery. :rolleyes:

I really *really* hope not! I'm ordering this from New Zealand, thus would be a rather huge hassle having to return it to Adorama from here.

Am hoping they've learned enough from all their past issues that they won't be repeating them.