Luke Hudson

Arri 235 Weight and Specs

I've been searching online to find out how much a loaded 235 would weigh. Looks like the body with IVS and viewfinder is between 7 and 9 lbs. Anyone know how I could find out how much the mag weights? Also, how much does 400' of 35mm weigh?

Thanks.

This is actually surprisingly difficult to find on the web. Looks like there is one Arri-published doc, "Arri Configuration Overviews" that lists the Arri 235 as being 11.9 lbs in "typical configuration", and the accompanying tiny photo looks like it has a 200ft shoulder mag attached. You might have to extrapolate the weight of the 400 ft mag with film unless someone has hard data.

post-4371-0-79979000-1400804117_thumb.png

Basic 235 body with viewfinder weighs 3.5 kg or 7.7 lbs, add IVS and handgrip you're up to 4.1 kg or about 9 lbs.

35mm neg is a bit over 2g per ft so 400 ft plus core is maybe 850g or a bit under 2 lbs.

An older 35-3 or 435 400 ft mag is about 1.7 kg or 3.7 lbs, 400ft displacement mags for steadicam are about the same. I can't find specs on the lightweight shoulder 400 ft mags but I would estimate they would be maybe 2.5 to 3 lbs.

So you're probably looking at 14 to 15 lbs for a 235 with IVS and a fully loaded 400 ft mag.

A typical standard-speed cine prime (say Ultra Prime or Cooke S4) adds another 3.5 to 4.5 lbs.