Lighting for 800fps slo mo commercial

Hi all! I'm new to this forum.

I'm after some advise. I'm a london based lighting cameraman/DOP.

I'm shooting a commercial on a week. It's lovely slo mo shots of wine being poured In front of black. The director wants to shoot 800fps. We have a slo mo op with a phantom hd camera. I know we need to have tungsten sources over 5k. I know 5k though at around 800fos won't be enough. I've lit a fair few things in the past ten years but nothing slo mo. Any top tips? Much appreciated.

Jon Paul,

You might want to consider the Hive plasma lights. The ballast runs at 450MHz, so 800fps isn't an issue. I heard about one rental customer doing some work at 3000fps recently while using the lights. You'll probably want the "Killer" or even the 4-light Killer. They were trying to light the project with just the Wasp and Bee and it wasn't enough, however you probably already know how to pre-calculate your foot-candle requirements.

Stuart

----------------------------

illuma.blogpsot.com

If you have plenty of power tungsten lights would be just fine. How big will your shots be?

Did a contact lens commercial last year and had 6 Arri T-12s pushing light through light board.

A friend did a Disani water commercial a few years ago with 18-20k's.

Very narrow spot pars either 1k or 1.2k can be helpful too.

When using tungsten for high speed work it can be a good idea to use a dimmer board to easily cool lights between takes.

Or, come to think of it, you could risk LED. It'd be a bit cooler, but you'd presumably need a lot of it.

P

Okay this is a bit dicey considering we are talking England, but it is quite bright at the moment, could the sun be a possibility?

Never had any flicker issues with it.

Freya

Hi Freya! Ha ha. Yes this is the UK. Can't guarantee good weather and also this needs to be a black studio for the post effects. We need full lighting control! I can control the dimming and position of the sun unfortunately. Unless you know the gaffa know as god? ;-)