Film restoration software

Roland

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tinkering with this program all week and finally got it to work right, sort of. So far I can only import mp4 files into Film9 but the processed results are amazing. I tested it with some raw color neg images that were correctly inverted. The color grade it does is really awesome, better than i can get by fiddling with highlights and mid tones for hours. I'll post a sample later if anyone is interested.

• Upvote 1

The degrain and sharpening are too heavy on those clips but you can lower them or disable. It does really well on an initial color balance for negative scans. That's what I hope to do with it, but i haven't been able to import avi files yet, I have to compress them to mp4 1st.

Here are some details that I hope will answer your questions:

Film9 support .avi files

- Before the first opening of Film9:
1) it is recommended to completely uninstall Avisynth. Film9 contains all the files needed for the proper functioning of Avisynth.
2) Install the codecs pack K-Lite Codec Pack

- Film9 does not file any information in the registry, you can copy it to any directory without any problem, but it does not work with temporary directories.

- For compatibility with Avisynth, Film9 does not accept the use of directories containing accents or special characters.

- Film9 creates a first intermediate file in "Compliance" to
standardize the appearance of the video, this for the filters contained in "Final processing" have the maximum effect.
Do not forget to click "Launch Pre-selected clip" in "Final processing" to create the final clip.

- If you want to file a final 25 or 50 fs (29.97 or 59.94 for NTSC), you must enable “interpolation”

I hope these explanations in broken English you have been useful.

Very friendly.

• Upvote 1

Here's a sample. I took an image sequence and rendered it to an mp4, sent it through film9 for color correction and mid level grain reduction. The film9 processed file was an avi which i took back into Sony Vegas, backed off a little blue in the mid's and removed the frame blending. Has some motion blur artifact but has potential if I can work the kinks out. The film is 1 roll or Kodak 50D scanned with the Retro8.

https://vimeo.com/98402390

• Upvote 1

Thank you for this test ...

Convert your movie to avi to mp4 is a lose definition ... it's a shame, because Film9 accept the avi format

I advise you to completely reinstall Avisynth and codecs.

Your film is certainly a scanned with syncronisation film.

Here are two settings that will reduce artifacts and sacades.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/32elfai3xdg8w1t/1.png

http://www.dropbox.com/s/olar12uowcuw0mr/2.png

(Don't activate interpolation)

Best regards

Roland

Edited by Roland
  • Upvote 1

Yes i uninstalled avisynth and detelted the program last night. Reloaded the program and let it re-install the full package of avisynth... and still cant import an avi into film 9. I get an error with virtualdub and that's it.

Thanks for the tip Roland

Edited by Anthony Schilling

Dear David,

I do not think anyone has the exclusive picture perfect ... especially not me!

There are only different choices.

Now it is common to make scans with little contrast and a lot of grain to show that this is an old movie.

But if you use an old Super8 projector, you have a very saturated picture, sharp and without grain (or just little).

The result will be far from it:

But more like this:

But to realize this, we must still have old projectors and not only work with scanners.

I respect everyone's choice, but i do not want to be trapped in what some believe to be the right choice!

It is also to respect the choice of each, that our small application allows you to change the settings as anyone can wish for.

friendly

Roland

(I hope the google translation is not too bad)

• Upvote 1

Avisynth error "Can't find a decompressor for YUYV" is what happens when I try to import an avi. I did not have the K-lite codec pack installed, but did install 10.5.5 and still had the problem. Something may be out of line in my registry? I was able to bring in an mpeg2 to process, left the grain in and the results were awesome. Gave me a sharp grain texture, excellent colors, turned off the interpolation. If i can straighten out the registry, this will be a crucial tool to have.

Dear David,

I do not think anyone has the exclusive picture perfect ... especially not me!

There are only different choices.

Now it is common to make scans with little contrast and a lot of grain to show that this is an old movie.

But if you use an old Super8 projector, you have a very saturated picture, sharp and without grain (or just little).

The result will be far from it:

But more like this:

But to realize this, we must still have old projectors and not only work with scanners.

I respect everyone's choice, but i do not want to be trapped in what some believe to be the right choice!

It is also to respect the choice of each, that our small application allows you to change the settings as anyone can wish for.

friendly

Roland

(I hope the google translation is not too bad)

I too am a fan of a projector and, when possible, do all my grading and post work attempting to match the projected image to my scanned image. I have yet to get it to match.

This is as close as I have come. The footage from 1:00 to 2:04 is entirely Fuji Velvia 50D and from 2:04 - 3:20 Kodak Ektachrome 100D. This is almost exactly what the projected image looks like in grain, contrast and sharpness. I have a much higher resolution version than the 720p posted on Vimeo. But, it's still close. All other footage is negative (Kodak Vision3 50D). So, it's going to look completely different. The grain is going to be light in color and exaggerated and stand out more. Unfortunately, with Super 8, there is no way to make a print in the USA so I will never know what a correctly timed print would look like.

The footage you mention in your post is mostly negative 16mm. The Super 8 is also negative. So, it is going to look much more grainy than a good reversal film.

What I have seen coming out of Film9 thus far does not look anything like any projected Super 8 image I have ever seen. But, that's just my opinion.

The next closest scan I have to looking like my projected image is here:

This is Kodak Vision3 50D in snow. The contrast is a bit off, but from 1:15 to the end is actually just a bit "better" looking than the timed print I have of this same footage (when projected). The shadow detail is a bit better. The grain is less apparent in the corrected scan as well vs the projected print.

Dave

Hello Anthony,

I received your .avi clip that does not want to open with Avisynth.

We exchanged several email about it.

This avi clip is very particular format (UYVY) which requires a special codec that I found, but unfortunately also a change in the Avisynth scripts.

This change will be made by Gilles and myself, in the next version of Film9.

In the immediate future, I have no other solutions that offer to convert your clips in a standard format.

We appreciate these remarks on problems because they allow us to we tackle our software.

Roland

Hello Anthony,

I received your .avi clip that does not want to open with Avisynth.

We exchanged several email about it.

This avi clip is very particular format (UYVY) which requires a special codec that I found, but unfortunately also a change in the Avisynth scripts.

This change will be made by Gilles and myself, in the next version of Film9.

In the immediate future, I have no other solutions that offer to convert your clips in a standard format.

We appreciate these remarks on problems because they allow us to we tackle our software.

Roland

Thank you for your help and for making this great program!

• 5 months later...

Hello,

A new version of Film9 is available here:

http://letransfert.soforums.com/t809-FILM9-Logiciel-de-Restauration-de-Films.htm#p16877

Version 1.4 of 23/11/2014:

- Update DLLs. for improvement in image quality and processing speed.

- Interframe latest version for better interpolation.

- Compatibility with video files: fYUVY, WMP, MPEG

- A greater range of settings to better vary corrections.

- An adjustable dégrainage "linearly".

- A function "Preset" to save or recall once all the control panel settings

- A new end processing window to immediately visualize the final clip.

- Automatic Shutdown computer upon completion clips.

We Gilles and I, listened to your feedback and hope this new version will bring you lots of fun in the processing of your films.

Sincerely

• 3 weeks later...

A new DLL used in the latest Film9 uses multithreading.
We now know that a compatibility problem can cause the application to crash
Only Windows 7 seems to have not installed "tool" essential to the use of this dll. We also know that a complete reinstallation of Windows 7 eliminates this problem.
We hope to be able to give you a Windows update procedure that may solve the problem without having to go through a tedious resettlement.
Moreover, users who have this problem may have other problems with other programs seeking such multithreading instructions.

Here's what we offer:

A version 1.41 - This is a version of "top performance" for those who have not encountered compatibility issues.
In this version, a bug on automatic cropping has been fixed at the same time (hence the version 1.41)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxttj35godtw89x/Film9%201.41.zip?dl=0

A draft version 1.40 - This version contains troubleshooting the "standard" version for those who experience a compatibility problem.
In this version, the bug on the auto trim has also been fixed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdyr38ygj13iy98/Film9%201.40.zip?dl=0

Like what, you can do a lot of tests but nothing can replace your user experience !! :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

We know the cause of the crash problem mentioned in the previous post:

To use version 1.41 on Windows 7, Service Pack 1 must be installed.

Now, only this version is available.

Film9 any potential users on this forum <_<, we recommend to download new version 1.41, some changes have been made.

Happy Holidays to all!