Cablecam, Skycam, Spidercam like systems

Peter Varnai

Yip,

I worked with one of the inventors of CableCam.

They were building pretty much a single grip shops version for local productions out of the states... Having a good workshop, decades of experience and some salty inventive spirit meant that they did a pretty good job of it too.

Lots of rigging set ups possible - 1D, 2D, 3D, 'long-aspect', 2D sideways, in and out of water - always interesting reverse engineering the set ups as we built them ;)

Long distances, height and tension means a bit of hard graft on occasion (tirfors ahoy!)

Winches were run off a Kuper system.

I also have a done a bit of work operating auto for shows, programming and running the systems that fly people and scenery - pretty slow stuff for the people actually, but some of the systems out there (Foy etc...) get pretty impressive.

Last job was King Kong, the guys from Spiderman/PRG were there and it's hitting NYC soon (if it hasn't already?).

Are you interested in cameras only?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have been designing and building a cable cam for the past 2 years. We are currently finishing up our showreel, I'll post it when we're done. Here are the key feature that make it (in my opinion) such a great system;

• 4k capable

• 1080p broadcast capable (teradek)

• Dual Cable

• 40kmh top speed

• 30 degree incline ability

• 10kg camera capacity

• Remote pan/tilt

• Easy set up (2 hours approx)

Are you interested in renting, purchasing or building for yourself?

Nice to see this thread open again ;)

How many grips/riggers ?

Dual cable, what does that refer to? is it 1D, 2D ?

What is the limiting factor on the incline?

It takes 2 hours or less (45min is the fastest) with a 2 of us rigging. Dual cable as apose to single cable. It's point to pioint, not a spider cam. But a lot of guys are using single cables to get rigging time down. So we figured out a way to rig that's (nearly) as easy as a signle cable. The advantage with a dual cable over a signle is that it's so much more stable than a single cable and no need for gyros. So far, the steepest that we've taken it to is 30 degrees but we both feel it could do verticle... we just haven't done it yet.

Edited by Richard Prendergast