Reflection in the shot

Hi,

I'm filming an interview. The client wants a window as the background. The subject is a young female. I want to light her with front, soft light, but the big umbrella will be in the shot.

The ceiling isn't very high so I can't raise the light until it's out of the shot. Perhaps I could put some white cloth on the ceiling and aim a light at it? Any other ideas?

If it were me I'd try to convince the client to change the shot. You'll probably have color temperature strangeness, too -- since you probably have tungsten behind the umbrella and daylight outside.

You could also break the glass out of the window (haha).

Although I'd guess someone out there has a better solution.

-Carl.

You,ll more than likely have a huge exposure difference to deal with.. 99% of the time when the director says interview in front of a widow its time to run... but if its all ND,ed.. I have used black flags to "hide" lamp reflections.. put them between the light and window obviously.. close to the light usually best.. watch for camera /red record light reflection too..(best turned off anyway if your camera has one).. you,ll need fire power so I would go for an HMI .. and that deals with CB problems too..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member

You can also raise the lights above the frame line- or lower them below it.

You can also also just put up a big black frame-- like an 8x8 which should fit in most places-- and cover it in some cheap black fabric and cut a hole for the lens.

Polas can help at certain angles, to a certain extent

Or you can back faaaarrrr away and use a longer lens and a wider F stop in a mid type shot to throw the whole background out of focus.

There are tons of ways of attacking this problem-- but it's all kind of impossible to do or comment on without seeing the room, knowing the shot knowing the budget.

Hell you could go crazy and shoot a green screen behind her then key in the background but that's also no fun etc.