Avoiding Hot Spots in interview lighting setups

Hi All,

I recently picked an ex88 rifa softbox to shoot talking heads. I recently tested it out and ran into an issue with hot spots on the subject's face. The silk on the rifa is 32x32 inches and I was also using the eggcrate. The source(1k) was about four feet from the subject. I didn't try using powder during the test. Is there anything else I can do with the softbox to avoid hot spots? Thank you for your insight and time!

Are baffles another word for egg crates? I have a 40 degree egg crate. I'm thinking of trading in the 40 degree egg crate for a 30 degree egg crate.

And yes, the Rifa softbox is fully flooded. Because of the construction of the softbox you can't move the bulb.

Edited by MICHAEL TAPP

• Premium Member

I'd bring sheets of 216, 250 and 251 along and see what it needs. Powder to create more of a matte sheen on people's skin can go a long way for these things though.

Edited by Mark Kenfield

• Premium Member

Another thing you can do is add a 4x4 frame of diffusion in front of the soft box. Try Light Gridcloth. That will make your key light even softer, so the reflection in the skin will be broader and more diffuse.

As Adrian says, you will lose some stop by doing this.

All the diff you add, don't forget, will have the effect of dimming down the light; which often means you bring it in closer, which then takes away a level of it's softness. There is no free lunch.

Bringing it in closer would actually increase the amount of softness - a small frame near by creates the same size light source (relative to the subject) as a large frame far away.