Arri 16 BL motor issues

Levi Szendro

Hello Dear People

I have just received an Arri 16 BL with a crystal motor which I can not recognize.(pic attached)

Having trouble to operate the camera as the motor is acting weird...i have an XLR4 12V battery for this cam as recommended. When I plugged it on the power the camera started to "cough" and cogging which I found weird...then I found that I could actually change some connectivity or circuit manually swapping a little 6 pin square plate at the back of the motor (see picture with the rods removed) and after that as soon as I plugged the camera on power the motor kept running on 50+ speed all the time without me switching on or off, nonstop and I can not even change the frame/sec at all...could anyone help me what is this as I honestly have not seen anything like that...thank you!

post-65493-0-40133100-1402516953_thumb.jpg

"Having trouble to operate the camera as the motor is acting weird...i have an XLR4 12V battery for this cam as recommended. When I plugged it on the power the camera started to "cough" and cogging which I found weird...then I found that I could actually change some connectivity or circuit manually swapping a little 6 pin square plate at the back of the motor (see picture with the rods removed) and after that as soon as I plugged the camera on power the motor kept running on 50+ speed all the time without me switching on or off, nonstop and I can not even change the frame/sec at all...could anyone help me what is this as I honestly have not seen anything like that...thank you!"

I would give Axel Broda a call - he's the best Arri technician in the entire world - and one of the few who still works on the 16BL.

Axel Broda (661) 821-6725.

Tehachapi, California USA

-Jerry Murrel

Cinevision Arkansas

Little Rock

• Upvote 1

I went inside the motor area on the Arri. The motor itself looks pristine but the connector to the BLEQ panel looks like this....am i right sayn that isn't normal right? looks like some cable overheating.....i didnt know that the actual motor and the BLEQ panel are two separate thing so I am suspecting something going wrong on the panel and not in the motor.

Any suggestion? I talking about this and discover this rare beauty.

Cheers

post-65493-0-16156600-1402662358_thumb.jpg

Looks like some corrosion and a wire may be broken.

Try dismantling the plug, cleaning it up and re-soldering. Check continuity with a multimeter before and after.

If you're not handy with a soldering iron, it will have to go to someone who is. Or you could acquire a new skill.

Edited by Mark Dunn

thank you guys for suggestions...i thought i will include a vide link of the Arri 16 and it's fault...i have no clue why she is doing this to me but one thing for sure that the motor is working and the fuses are ok...

here it is:

• 4 years later...