Arri 35 3C overhaul in LA?

Satsuki Murashige

• Premium Member

Hey guys,

It's been a few years, hope ya'll are doing well!

I'm currently in the process of purchasing the rare Arri 35 3C from a local DP who hasn't used it in like 5-6 years. I want to get it overhauled by a qualified technician, preferably in California. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so LA is relatively close for me. Does anyone have any leads?

I see that Dom Jaeger seems to be the resident expert on Arri 2Cs. Where you at Dom? B)

It's nice to be back!

• Premium Member

Are you talking about a 2C or an Arri III?

Either way, don't rule out talking to Arri in NYC, there's still one guy there that loves the film cameras and can make any of them purr. Just might cost a pretty penny however. Worth a phone call!

• Premium Member

Are you talking about a 2C or an Arri III?

3C was the last evolution of the 2C before the 35-3, not many made.

I'd second giving Arri CSC a call, they may also recommend someone on the west coast. These are pretty simple cameras mechanically, an overhaul shouldn't cost the earth.

• Premium Member

Neither, the camera is a 3C, which was the last version of the 2C style body before the Arri III was introduced. Manufactured in 1982. It has a factory original PL mount, swing away door with orientable finder, registration pin, and crystal sync pistol grip motor with a standard 12v 4pin XLR connector. This one also comes with a CE 2C Crystal Motor Base. Apparently only about 50 3Cs were ever imported to the US so it is quite rare.

Does anyone know if Axel Broda is still around? I've heard from a long time 1st AC that he was the best technician. Will definitely try Arri CSC as well. Thanks!

Does anyone know if Axel Broda is still around? I've heard from a long time 1st AC that he was the best technician. Will definitely try Arri CSC as well. Thanks!

Satsuki,

Axel is still working on Arris. I talked to him a few weeks ago about a 35BL.

(He did a wonderful job rebuilding my 16BL, as well as my 35 BL-1.)

Axel Broda

661 821-6725

Tehachapi, CA

-Jerry Murrel

LIttle Rock, AR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I asked about that cam on craigslist a few weeks back and never got a reply from him. Probably for the best because I when I found it on ebay later for 5k, I knew it wasn't going to happen.

All things being equal 3 perf would be nice, but it would take a while to pay for itself in film savings for this weekend shooter.

I'm sure it cost a lot new, and to the seller 5k is selling it cheap. But considering my Arri 2c was well under a thousand, I'm happy to spend the difference on film.

Very cool camera, though.

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member

Thanks Thom! The DP who was going to sell me his 3C decided not to sell but he's letting me hold onto it and use it in his absence (he now lives in NYC). So I don't have much incentive to get it serviced now. I bought a Moviecam SL instead...