7229 vs. 7218

Ben Weinstein

Im embarking on a doc style commercial shoot and will be shooting 24P vid as well as (thank you jewsus) 16mm. I've only ever shot 500 ASA in 35mm, usually I keep to 7274 for its tighter grain. We'll be shootng all natural light and Im ready to take the plunge into 500 ASA for 16mm. Ill be usingthe A minima with a Canon 7-63, as well as a superspeed or two. Has anyone tried the new 7229? How does it rate against the 7218 in granularity, color, etc? We'll be doing a film to tape.

The '29 has slightly (and I mean slightly) more grain than '18. The colors are also more muted, as this is the "Expression" stock. Both stocks benefit from the Vision2 technology's lack of color corruption in the shadows and highlights. If I were going for film to tape, I'd probably choose '29 for the slight benefit in versatility.

7218 looks dynomite on 16mm. I did a telecine at Warner Brothers of a couple music videos shot with my Eclair ACL through an Angineux 9.5-57mm zoom. Another colorist walked into the room and mistook it for 35mm.

I like the crispness of '18. You can always take it down in post if you want more muted colors....especially if you're staying on video (or using a DI).