Arri 16 BLEQ motor voltage and amperage

Levi Szendro

Hello.....does anyone know the required amperage for a 1965 Arri 16 BLEQ motor? 12V for sure but what should be the amperage on DC power supply to gain enough power for the motor?

Cheers!

From the manual for the SR2 found here http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.towson.edu%2Femf%2Fdocs%2Farri_sr2_manual.pdf&ei=Pk2jU_zZHtD8oATCjIDICw&usg=AFQjCNFmfWWhB4LmTEb5YWgmTRH3mK6KdQ&sig2=0UDb704YG0VKa10FksQziQ&bvm=bv.69411363,d.cGU&cad=rja

There is mention of a 12 V 1.2 Ah battery, which leads me to believe the amount of current required is less than or equal 1 A while in operation.

There's mention that the ARRI 16 BLEQ is similar in power requirements to the SR2...

But I really do think you need to contact someone who services older ARRI equipment, and see if they can assist in correctly identifying things for you.

In the other thread you have on this topic, I think you need a schematic of the wiring for the cable that has some apparent damage.

These days people are sort of wyrd about copying 'copyrighted' service manuals, despite the equipment being long out of production, and even if the original manufacturer is out of business (ARRI is not... so perhaps there's some way to get archival service manuals...).

But if someone can get you the schematics, it may help you in understanding and fixing the problem.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I don't have any technical information on that motor, but you could safely assume that the body alone would probably draw around 1A, with a fully loaded mag you'd be up closer to 2A. An unserviced camera that's stiff to manually turn over will draw more, as will running the camera at higher speeds. Also, the start-up current can spike at several times the normal running current, so you need a power supply that can supply at least 6A.

It doesn't matter if your power supply can supply 10 or 20A, the camera will just draw what it needs.

• Upvote 2