Help choosing filters

As I said in previous posts, Schneider filters are not laminated, the filter core is melted inside the glass so the entire filter becomes one solid piece. The black epoxy resin you see is called edge seal, it further prevents stray light from entering the filter through the edges and causing flare.

Any two or more layers that are stuck together will commonly be called a laminate. If the glue layer has an additional function (color etc) as it sounds like it does for both Tiffen and Schneider then glass/glue/glass I would call a 3 layer laminate. If there are marketing reasons to ever avoid the use of the word "laminate" that is something else.

From that Tiffen blurb I quoted from B&H in a prev post...

Q: Are Tiffen filters made of gelatin laminated between glass?

A: No, Tiffen filters are two pieces of high-quality optical glass laminated together, with the filter effect actually contained in the special bonding material.

If I believe the publicity from both manufacturers, and assume they haven't been missrepresented or misquoted, then, as described, they are both laminates with the filter layer being also the glue layer. It will be interesting to know how that glueing is done. One immediately leaps to the guess that both are achieved with heat, but who knows.

With the rappid historic development of composite technologies, spearheaded by aviation, marine and military applications, a cool thing turned up somewhere in there..layers of epoxy resin that were like a thin leathery sheet at room temperature. Under heat and pressure it will fuse other layers together.

On the issue of what the edge treatment is for.....quoting Greg Mcfarlane King's post (#13), selecting from the Ryan Avery from Schneider Optics quoted as ".... edge sealing can prevent delamination..".

Now to enjoy the humour...If delamination of Schneiders never happens, is that because they were never "laminated" in the first place, or is it because the edge treatment is working?