Red One lenses/mounts ?

Paul Brenno

I just started with company, they have 1 Red One. First time I've used this in my career, as I was laid off in the recession, so it's great to finally get back to work in video. I shot some test shots the other day, have 3 older Angenieux lenses, a zoom, and two primes.

Since I just started with this company, I'm wanting to upgrade or just get new lenses, where should I look ?

Seeking a new Zoom (18-55) something like that ?

What are the problems you are having with the older zooms?

The Angenieux optiomo DP series are considered to be really nice zooms for a great price:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/651755-REG/Angenieux_30_80_OPTIMO_ROUGE_Optimo_DP_Rouge_30_80mm.html

Congrats on your new job! :)

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member

Some might say that a Red One camera is more obsolete these days than an old Angenieux zoom. ;)

The question of lens choice is pretty vast, any recommendations will depend primarily on your budget. If you've got 50 to 100K to spend you can't beat Angenieux Optimos, although there are also nice PL zooms by Fujinon in that price range. For 20 to 30K there are Angenieux's DP range, Fujinon's Aluras, Zeiss Compact zooms or the new Canon zooms all in PL. Under 10K and you 're starting to look at rehoused stills zooms, cine-mods or second hand stuff, RED zooms or older glass like what you already own. The lowest budget option is stills lenses, wholly unsuited to video work, but often used anyway these days. That option requires a matching camera mount.

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member

I wouldn't throw away the old lenses just yet! I know personally, with the clean look of digital cameras, for certain projects the vintage lenses are really good at taking the edge off and adding character. I have a set of 70's Contax Zeiss cinevised just for that reason.