How do we get carpet-bombed by Indian astrologers?

Anyone know? While most of the forum, being in the Northern hemisphere, were asleep, these adverts from an Indian astrologer kept popping up faster than I could report them. Is it just a machine (a piece of software) that somehow joins forums and posts the adverts? Or are there poor, desparate folk in India that do this advertising for a living?

Well I too am a poor guy from India, who reported this spamming by clicking on the report button. I guess the bots are becoming intelligent to bypass the forum security procedure.

Anyone know? While most of the forum, being in the Northern hemisphere, were asleep, these adverts from an Indian astrologer kept popping up faster than I could report them. Is it just a machine (a piece of software) that somehow joins forums and posts the adverts? Or are there poor, desparate folk in India that do this advertising for a living?

• Premium Member

It's more like Amazon's "Mechanical Turk" system; most of it is automated, but there's one human there whose only job is to interpret Capcha type codes.

Basically all they see are the Capchas, the rest is entirely automatic.

Haven't you ever been suspicious of the improbably accurate speech recognition systems that some automated switchboards seem to have?

That's because you're actually talking to a real operator, but they only talk back to you via a speech synthesizer. That way people are forced to "cut to the chase" instead of waffling endlessly around the point.