Is it possible to buy Unperforated/Bulk film from Kodak?

... but you would then have enough stock for about 25,000 Super-8 cartridges or 600,000ft of 16mm.

I doubt anyone but Kodak could slit and perforate a master roll. They're a nautical mile long.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Many people have enquired with kodak about unperforated film. To my knowledge no one has ever succeeded. But the world keeps changing. You would need to expect that any positive answer came with a lot of zeroes in the price. A lot.

Mel Brooks was once asked: "What is the toughest thing about making a film?"

Brooks replied: "Putting in the little holes. The sprocket holes are the hardest thing to make. Everything else is easy, but all night you have to sit with that little puncher and make the holes on the side of the film. You could faint from that work. The rest is easy: the script is easy, the acting is easy, the directing is a breeze… but the sprockets will tear your heart out."

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies guys!

I was hoping to obtain just 400ft of unperforated Vision3 500T.

Reperforating services do exist by a company called Wittner Cinetec in Germany. I have emailed/contacted them about this and they do provide it so long either the 16mm or 35mm film is unperforated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

They get 1000 ft 35mm camera negative on core. It is perfed. You can order this yourself direct from Kodak.

Hi David, sorry for the very late response, But I must know...

Do you know or think that Spectra provides a service to perforate 35mm film? And at a good price perhaps??

Pro 8 are the only people in the world at up to perforate perforated 35mm to super8. indeed I wonder if anyone else has ever done it commercially. I once had wittner do a test for me of perforating a 100 ft roll of perforated 35. Their perforator is for perfing unperforated 35. They were able to get 2 x super 8 from that. The other two had 35mm perforations. The thing is those perforations made it difficult for them to do.

Pro 8 are the only people in the world at up to perforate perforated 35mm to super8. indeed I wonder if anyone else has ever done it commercially. I once had wittner do a test for me of perforating a 100 ft roll of perforated 35. Their perforator is for perfing unperforated 35. They were able to get 2 x super 8 from that. The other two had 35mm perforations. The thing is those perforations made it difficult for them to do.