H.264

Jon Allen

Hi,

> Sorry, perhaps I should have said: "real time" full-bandwidth video.

If you mean playback, sure, yes.

If you mean something else - some kind of grading or effects, perhaps - then that's kind of a meaningless measurement because there's always going to be some kind of technique or filter that can't be done in realtime, all the way up to the highest levels.

I can build you an 800MHz PC which can run out realtime SD if you want one.

Phil

An old Amiga can do a black and white effect in real-time... :-)

There has been speculation that Apple's use of MPEG 4 (H.264) is the beginning of a possible interent movie downloading service.

With the introduction of Quicktime 7 Apple has begun the downloading of 1080P movie trailors which some say may be a beta testing of a possible movie downloading service.

The next clue that has come about is the new iTunes 4.8 has the integrated ability to play full screen video from any Quicktime movie. By dragging a Quicktime movie into iTunes you are given the option to play the movie in iTunes or full screen.

All of this seems to forsehadow at some point a movie downloading service in conjunction with music which stores and organizes Quicktime movies in iTunes.

Guest Jim Murdoch
Our good friend Mr. Murdoch, is, of course referring to just about everyone here - as that covers all he's offended, attacked, insulted, and\or smeared.

Panavision's out to take over the world!!!

<runs to toss in Conspiracy Theory, it's been a while>

"Our good friend Mr. Murdoch, is, of course referring to just about everyone here"

Hey! You got something right! Well done.

I realize you're trying to be funny, and you have no idea how well you've succeeded :P

Most of the posters here wouldn't know poop from shaving cream, but as some wise man once said:

"They used to say that if you had an infinite number of monkeys tapping away at an infinite number of keyboards, eventually one of them would produce something useful. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this isn't true..." B)

"Panavision's out to take over the world!!!"

Actually Panavision's major shareholder is out to take over some sucker investors' bank account so that they wind up shelling out for PV's massive Bond debts when they fall due in a few years time.

This whole "Digital Cinematography" thing is just a smokescreen. I mean even if it did actually do something useful, how could it possibly make any difference to Panavision's finances, when they already have around 85% of the market?

Guest Jim Murdoch
Hi,

> Sorry, perhaps I should have said: "real time" full-bandwidth video.

If you mean playback, sure, yes.

If you mean something else - some kind of grading or effects, perhaps - then that's kind of a meaningless measurement because there's always going to be some kind of technique or filter that can't be done in realtime, all the way up to the highest levels.

I can build you an 800MHz PC which can run out realtime SD if you want one.

Phil

At the time I was referring to, the only practical MPEG-based desktop editors were based around very expensive top-of-the line PCs, most of which couldn't do complex efects in real time, although they could play back real time video. Even some high-end 486 machines could play back full bandwidth video with the appropriate card installed. Doing anything but the most basic assemble and insert editing is a completely different story however.

Wavelet compression was supposed to completely supercede all this, giving you broadcast quality editing power with an inexpensive expansion card and minimal memory. Obviously this was nothing but vapourware.