RC quadcopters and super8 cameras

Richardson Leao

Hi Guys,

I've been away from this forum from a long time and it is very good to be back. Anyway, I wonder if anybody has tryed to fly a super8 camera using an rc plane or helicopter? I saw a video on vimeo (

) but it was not as I was hoping and I imagine it suffers from vibration issues. Cheers

richardson

Indeed the imagery isn't too pleasing. Bumpy and very poor focus quality. Or was it so poorly scanned?

S8 cameras tend to weigh a lot compared to the copter liftcapacity. So you would need a big one.

The advantage is they can run from a few AA rather then NiCd packs.

It has been discussed elsewhere.

A long time ago there were amateur rockets which would have a special dedicated S8 camera on board. It used clips of film in small dedicated cartridges.

Considering the cost per minute I would try to use the remote control of the camera. And attempt to shoot only when there is chance of something interesting.

Also it would be better if there was something to see moving down on earth. Image quality is just too poor for scenery. Regulations likely forbid flying these things over people and to film people in their homes and such. So it must be sideviews of trains, autobahn, wateractivities etcetc.

For what its worth, I've got a Chinon Pocket 8 which I'm sure you could get on a copter. It's tiny. You could probably even rig a little remote control run trigger with a servo or solenoid. And the Pocket 8 is fixed focus, too.

Edited by Josh Gladstone

It would work allot better with a wider angle lens, and it seems that the camera might be a bit out of focus

I got a GSAP 16mm camera that I am going to try on a 8-rotor cinestar.

I agree, lens doesn't look to me as very wide and also out of focus. And maybe the flying machine wasn't too well handled ? I've long yearned to put a small 16mm camera onto small helicopter, so will be very interested in your project, if it gets off the ground :D

Also super-8 I would think is feasible quality-wise.

I tried to fly an rc plane with a fuji single 8 p2 (250g) but my piloting skils were not the greatest and I smashed the plane before I could start filming. I thought a DJI phanton could do the job. they can lift over 700g but I am a bit traumatised after various accidents.

these are two of these rockets. That isn't so bad though:

the 2nd one wasn't so bad. My initial idea was in fact a rocket because I was planning to do a scifi short.

A bit off topic but have you guys seen this ffotage (challenger explosion in super 8)

• Premium Member

In quads it's all about the gimbal, and even as light as a 310xl can be, it would take quite a strong gimbal to handle it. Something in the $2500 range although they are coming down quickly. Otherwise the unsteady footage is simply unwatchable.

• Premium Member

I may have to start weighing my Super 8 cameras to see which one might work the best for a drone attempt. I've seen people hang cameras on strings with fins from quad copters and it can kind of work...won't be perfectly smooth but would be fun to try.

I love the idea of a custom S8 camera designed specifically for use on consumer drones. A 3D printed camera of some sort. Must be possible. And remote controllable. Could be called EightCrate.

For a drone specific gimbal:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/airdog/airdog-worlds-first-auto-follow-action-sports-dron

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/999456/video-398968-h264_high.mp4

C

Edited by Carl Looper

• 2 weeks later...

This camera https://vimeo.com/8528321 weights 490 gramms with lens and cartridge inside plus 6Volt battery. Not sure if it may be fitted on airdog drone

Use a Fujica P2

Or Canon AF310XL who are modern lightweigth enough.

Draw power from the main battery or use AAA in a clip or use AA adapters

Edited by Andries Molenaar