The Great Camera Search: looking for 16mm body + lens

Luke Roberts

Let me expatiate on what I mean: I'm searching eagerly for a cheap as dirt 16mm camera (preferably S16 and sync), and not sure a clockwork K-3 is the way to go. Maybe it is.

Anyone got a functional Arriflex SR or Aaton they don't want?

• Premium Member

I've suggested Canon Scoopic MS cameras in the past for people getting into 16mm. They have built-in meters, are extremely easy to load and come with an attached, amazing lens. Yes, it's nice to change lenses but you really don't need that with this lens. It's the easiest, best looking camera for the money and won't kill your hand winding it.

The next step up for me would be an Arri SR and you can see a difference in the steadiness of the film, you get 400' loads and access to tons of reasonable Arri mount lenses. If you go Super 16 with a PL mount, lenses get very expensive.

I've owned K3's, Kodak K-100 (very cool non-reflex camera!), Kiev 16, SR1, SR2, SR2 Super 16 and I would basically go for a Scoopic or SR in hindsight. Scoopic for learning & run-n-gun and SR to shoot things more on sticks.

Here are some samples of both:

Canon Scoopic MS (Ultra-16...slightly wider on both sides of the film, unlike Super 16 which is larger on one side)

Arri SR 1, Standard 16mm, Zeiss 10-100 Lens

I've suggested Canon Scoopic MS cameras in the past for people getting into 16mm. They have built-in meters, are extremely easy to load and come with an attached, amazing lens. Yes, it's nice to change lenses but you really don't need that with this lens. It's the easiest, best looking camera for the money and won't kill your hand winding it.

The next step up for me would be an Arri SR and you can see a difference in the steadiness of the film, you get 400' loads and access to tons of reasonable Arri mount lenses. If you go Super 16 with a PL mount, lenses get very expensive.

I've owned K3's, Kodak K-100 (very cool non-reflex camera!), Kiev 16, SR1, SR2, SR2 Super 16 and I would basically go for a Scoopic or SR in hindsight. Scoopic for learning & run-n-gun and SR to shoot things more on sticks.

Canon Scoopic MS (Ultra-16...slightly wider on both sides of the film, unlike Super 16 which is larger on one side)

Thanks for the recommendation. The Canon is pretty nice, though I'm more impressed by the footage coming from the Arri. Probably the Zeiss, scanning, and stock that make the biggest differences? Maybe I should jump up to the next film gauge and look into getting an Eyemo?

Edited by Luke Roberts

• Premium Member

Thanks for the recommendation. The Canon is pretty nice, though I'm more impressed by the footage coming from the Arri. Probably the Zeiss, scanning, and stock that make the biggest differences? Maybe I should jump up to the next film gauge and look into getting an Eyemo?

The only issue with the Scoopic is you can get some pulsing when shooting skies or anything that looks like a sky. I've had 4 or 5 of them and they've all had similar issues. It's because they really can't be adjusted with the same absolute precision that an SR can. If you adjust one point in the path, something down the path gets off. So if you're looking for something that can make a great western or shoot a lot of scenic outdoor scenes, a camera designed for features or at least TV might be better. If you're doing run-n-gun the Scoopic is great. Think of it as a Super 8 camera with the quality of 16mm.

As far as an Eyemo, they are nearly impossible to find in reflex and that really makes all the difference. I love my Steve's Cine modded Eyemo but I just have to point it in the general direction, guess at the distance for focus and flick the run switch. It can make slightly less than 1 minute of beautiful footage per reel.

I'd go Arri SR to start since there are so many out there and still plenty of people (including Arri!) that can work on them. Shoot with that for a while then look into an Arri III or something in 35mm.

• 1 month later...

the scoopic footage has an interesting effect in it. after the first dolly across the dock there is some direct sunlight flaring the lens. When it flares, it substantially brings out the shadow detail in the trees across the water. I guess its essentially flashing the film. Just dont know that Ive seen it that dramatic before.