Sparkles in water

Hi all,

I'm DP on a promo with an underwater scene. We've sorted a black swimming pool, which is a great start.

I want to add some texture to the water, cloud it up a little bit, but I also want to add some reflecting particles. Ideally it'd be a salt that dissolves very slowly, so that the reflectance is maintained throught the scene without ever clogging up the pool's filtration system.

Any ideas?

Thanks

From what I can gather, your question seems more relevant for the sfx dept. to answer.

With regards to creating a sparkle with lights, if you're shooting upwards from underwater your best bet would be to position your fixture at a 45degree angle into the pool so as to backlight the water and your subject.

Water shimmers or glistens because light from behind gets refracted as it passes through the water.

You could try creating a shower of tiny bubbles rising up from behind your actor. Keep your aperture open and the light should sparkle in the bokeh in the background.

Worth a try!

James Oldham

Cinematographer

Manchester, UK

Edited by James Oldham

• 4 weeks later...

In a real diving situation, people tend to kick up silt. It would take a very fine filter to filer that out. Also, you would probably need a vacuum cleaner for the bottom (the silt would tend to settle). Is there money in your budget to replace their pump, should that be necessary?

In a real diving situation, people tend to kick up silt. It would take a very fine filter to filer that out. Also, you would probably need a vacuum cleaner for the bottom (the silt would tend to settle). Is there money in your budget to replace their pump, should that be necessary?

No money worth being counted!

Unfortunately, as two weeks passed between shooting the main bulk and this one shot... director's decided he doesn't need it. I hurt!!