Frame Grabbing and Overlaying on monitor

Tom Banks

Hey guys,

I'm curious if anyone knows if there is any gear in existence to accomplish this?

Basically what I'm looking for is a monitor that is able to capture a freeze frame, then overlay it on the existing image. Being able to flop the image horizontally would also be amazing.

I always find myself taking pictures of the monitor with my iPhone for quick reference to match framing and eyeline when doing Cross coverage and OTS shots.

Thank you!

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

SmallHD DP7 Pro OLED does it overly and frame grabs. I know this because I was going ballistic that my brand new monitor had ghosting frame lines from camera prep... then later in the next day another ghosting of a previous shot was there. It turned out that I had put the monitor into overlay mode and had taken a screen grab with black screen showing only frame lines and then a frame grab of a previous set. I was REALLY glad to find out it wasn't a ghosting problem.

I used the Alexa feature on that shoot to setup a transition shot, it worked well, but I did not have time to figure out the output to external monitors

Thanks guys for all the replies. I will definitely look into the SmallHD. I thought I had checked their site, but I mist have missed that.

I also have been in contact with TV Logic and they were able to write a new firmware to accomplish this in the most basic way. They might also incorporate this fully as a feature in the next model of monitors!!

And Stuart - haha yes, that is definitely how I've been doing it. Just looking to make progress! Not only matching distance from subject, but distance off eyeline and framing...

Thanks guys for all the replies. I will definitely look into the SmallHD. I thought I had checked their site, but I mist have missed that.

May not be on all models... just like the DP7 Pro OLED also cross converts HDMI to SDI and vice versa

How about just having your assistant match the distances. That's how we used to do it in the good old days...

We did that also... and by eye I was nearly 98% on the mark with a perfect match. Two actors open one refrigerator in one area of the store and close same model door but in a different location.

• 2 weeks later...