Looking for advice to fix motion blur etc - Canon 700d movie

Hey everyone, i'm new to the DSLR filmmaking world and I've started making videos with my Canon 700D camera.

I've run into a problem though! My videos seem out of focus, because of motion blur and the quality at times isn't all that amazing. The following video is test footage (color corrected, but the same issues occurred even before the video was edited)

I am using 1920x1080 24, with a shutter speed of 50. I had the bitrate turned up to 2, the iso at 100-160. What am I doing wrong? I used the 50 shutter speed to achieve a 'movie look' as suggested by many articles, but the image is not crisp at all!

I used Sony Vegas 11 to add color correction, but I did have the same issues with the footage when it was in its basic file format from the SD card. Thank you :)

Panning speed vs shutter speed.

"People" will say that doubling your frame rate gives you an artistic look. But that is spawned from film cameras which not unlike a dslr use a mirror to send light to the viewfinder. Only its a disc. well half a disc. Hence why if your film is advancing at 24fps the "shutter" speed is 1/48 (roughly speaking... not all film cameras have 180deg mirrors). Anyway..... as time went by film cameras got adjustable shutters.

But what ever settings you choose you should find a panning speed calc and input your variables and see what it spits out. Just remember you wouldnt try to shoot a still at 1/50 for action or without a tripod and expect a rock steady image. So you cant expect to get crisp shots swinging the camera around videoing.

If you then still see issue it can be from how your software is setup. Lots of editing software packages handle frame rates in different manners. If your settings in vs settings out are less than favorable it usually manifests itself along the edges of moving objects. Usually because it is trying to insert or remove pulldown effects and that is usually done but interlacing or or deinterlacing during some form of frame blending or extrapolation

Edited by steve waschka

Hey everyone, i'm new to the DSLR filmmaking world and I've started making videos with my Canon 700D camera.
I've run into a problem though! My videos seem out of focus, because of motion blur and the quality at times isn't all that amazing. The following video is test footage (color corrected, but the same issues occurred even before the video was edited)
I am using 1920x1080 24, with a shutter speed of 50. I had the bitrate turned up to 2, the iso at 100-160. What am I doing wrong? I used the 50 shutter speed to achieve a 'movie look' as suggested by many articles, but the image is not crisp at all!
I used Sony Vegas 11 to add color correction, but I did have the same issues with the footage when it was in its basic file format from the SD card. Thank you :)

Because you are panning relatively 'fast', you will see more motion blur. I didn't notice any 'extrordinary' bluring, other than one rule of thumb is that an object should take 5 seconds to traverse the horizontal width of the frame.

There are exceptions, etc.

The other thing is that for most DSLRs, the read out of the sensor is not 'in one entire glump', but in rectangular regions, and this will induce odd artifacts for things in motion.

• Premium Member

The amount of motion blur looks about right. You could use a shorter shutter time for an artistic effect, choppier, crisper ala "Saving Private Ryan" and "Gladiator" (try 1/100th or shorter), but what you chose, 1/50th at 24P, is more or less what you need for a basic film look. Film at 24 fps with a 180 degree shutter has a certain amount of blur and strobing -- just pull a frame for any movie where there is some fast motion.

Patrick I had a minute and downloaded your video and replayed it one frame at a time. You have frame blending issues on this clip. It was captured at 24fps and the file is 29.97. When you do that, frames 4 and 5 in your case are trying to blend adjacent frames to take 24fps and fit it into 29.97 playback. Ie: you have frame 1, 2, 3 are clean, then 4 and 5 have ghosting. Then it repeats... 6,7,8 clean 9, 10 ghosting. If you want to output at 29.97 or 30 you should take at 30p to eliminate those frames. Or take at 60i and deinterlace to 30p in processing. If you want to deinterlace. Depending on how it was shot 60i may look fine. But it will look very "real" and not as "aristic" as a slower progressive frame rate like 24 or 30. Many modern tvs and BRPs i think can handle a 24fps file and do a good job at playback provided the user has properly configured the equipment to handle 24p. But most everything in the home is 60hz as default. So you will find that 24fps in many peoples homes will always have that blur. Ive tried to get around it. And asked for alternatives. But I dont believe there are any. So 24fps for the theater. 60/30 for the home.

• Upvote 1

Actually it looks like its a bit more convoluted then that. Did you possibly use an external program outside of your editor to compress for upload? Theres really only one pure frame in every succession of 5 in your clip consistently. Maybe you have a couple of programs overlaying a couple of pulldown effects. But, as everyone has said above, you cant overpan your taking speed. it will bur. But thats usually a pretty smooth smear of each frame. So youve got two kinds of blur. If you have a mac you can take the right arrow key in quicktime and just hold it down and that just keeps advancing frame by frame and you will see a strobing pattern. Thats the struggle between the taking rate and the output rate.

• Upvote 1

This clip has its own list of issues. However it was shot at 60i deinterlaced to 30p. The shutter speed was 1/120. It was shot using a standard def 4:3 sensor camera with an anamorphic lens so it was then widened in post to fit in a 720p frame. But its a frame rate shutter speed option for you.

https://vimeo.com/61855396

And thats enough out of me on the topic. Hope it was helpful

• Upvote 1