Hot off the press. Pro8mm (California) will be the exclusive distributor of the new Logmar Super 8 camera in Canada, US and Mexico

Nicholas Kovats

Good luck to Logmar.

Let's see what they make of the pricing. De pro8 operation has bit of different burning rate than the Logmars.

Unfortunately/likely the distribution in Europe goes to Wittner. Then we know what we can expect there too.

Did anybody ever check with Kodak if these intend to remain in the S8 market?

Edited by Andries Molenaar
  • Upvote 1

Good luck to Logmar.

Let's see what they make of the pricing. De pro8 operation has bit of different burning rate than the Logmars.

Unfortunately/likely the distribution in Europe goes to Wittner. Then we know what we can expect there too.

Did anybody ever check with Kodak if these intend to remain in the S8 market?

Hi Andries, your last question for me is the most important in this case.

No big deal. If they decide to call it quits, there are plenty of other film manufacturers only too happy to fill Kodak's shoes in the small formats.

Jean-Louis

I was referring mainly to a superior emulsion as Vision3, I think this camera is what makes sense of it.

I was referring mainly to a superior emulsion as Vision3, I think this camera is what makes sense of it.

No problems there, Pro8mm would then make it from 35mm like they did for Vision3 50D before it was available from Kodak directly. Also this camera shouldn't have any problems with Pro8mm cartridges jamming...

I hope I'm wrong but with this announcement I have a sinking feeling that the price just doubled.

Likely it did :)

Considering what they want for 'refurbished' cameras like the CANON 310 with Rhonda's lepard print.

And the money for Phil's hairdresser must come from somewhere.

The early price was just unrealistic low for retail let alone wholesale. Even if they manage to sell 250 pieces and minus the production costs they make one Euro per hour for research and development.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

Major article in Wired. First 20 cameras will sell for $3,500 US then increase to $5,000 US.

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/logmar-super-8/]http://www.wired.com/2014/07/logmar-super-8/

I predict the first batch of 20 units will sell out.

Ouch that's getting out of my range. I've been trying to talk myself into spending maybe 3K with a lens based on the original cost estimate. If your talking 5k without a lens then there are too many better options for less.

• Upvote 1

They better start work quick on the first large production batch.

Slow supply after introduction is about the worst thing that can happen. I feel they are loosing the momentum already.

But then there weren't any new cameras for 25 years so what would a few months make for a difference :)

Hi Guys!

Sorry it's been a while since we've been responsive in this forum - things have been crazy busy in our end!

Wittner appears to have the distributorship for Europe. Probably not. But why not send them a direct email? They are quite responsive.

Wittner does not have distributorship in Europe, In fact we have never talked to him.

Will it be possible to buy direct from LOGMAR in Europe?

We will be fulfilling initial orders to customers outside of US, Mexico and Canada directly from us.

They better start work quick on the first large production batch.

Slow supply after introduction is about the worst thing that can happen. I feel they are loosing the momentum already.

But then there weren't any new cameras for 25 years so what would a few months make for a difference :)

We will make an announcement about our beta camera program later today or tomorrow - in all essence we'll be selling an initial 10-20 cameras via Pro8mm and the same amount for EU at a reduced price of 3.500$ USD.

More news to come very soon!

/Lasse

Here is Logmar's latest press release detailing the cross continent Beta camera program. Beta cameras will be ready by Xmas with a one year warranty entailing owners to hardware upgrades to match eventual production model in 2015. They have already upgraded the firmware to extend framerates down to 1 fps.

Starting up beta camera production!

Posted on August 3, 2014 by admin

Together with the announcement of Pro8mm as distributor for US, Canada and Mexico we also decided to run a smaller pilot series of cameras, which will serve as a beta testing program before we launch the mass-production edition in second or third quarter next year.

The goal of this beta testing program is to mature the product even further before a mass release. We expect all buyers of a beta camera to send in their feature requests/ideas (if any) as well as their usage experience and report potential bugs, problems etc.

As a token of our appreciation for your pioneering work, we will be selling these beta cameras at a reduced rate of 3.500$ USD* (2.695€ EUR)* compared to the mass release cameras that will be sold at a price around 5.500$ USD* (4.100€ EUR*).

All beta cameras sold will come with a one-year warranty and free upgrade program so that If issues are uncovered, that needs changing of (for example) mechanics or electronics we will upgrade the camera under the warranty as well, so that your camera will look and feel like the mass-production cameras coming later next year. These beta cameras will support exactly the same features as the mass release cameras including the external 200’ft cassette option.

We expect most issues to be purely software related, which requires you to do a simple firmware update of the camera via a windows based computer with a USB connection available but if something needs servicing or exchange of parts you simply have to return the camera to either Pro8mm or Logmar Denmark.

To make sure all beta cameras are up to date with the “mass release cameras” coming later next year we will notify every beta customer in case we make a mechanical or electrical improvement that needs you to turn in the camera for warranty upgrading so that your beta camera is always up to date.

Pro8mm will be serving the US, Mexican and Canadian market with beta cameras for delivery around Christmas and we will be directly fulfilling beta camera orders from the European Union at the same time.

Since all cameras will be built to order, we ask all European customers to pay a non-refundable deposit of 995€ EUR* upon entering an order with us. (US, Mexican and Canadian customers could contact Pro8mm directly to learn more)

Once we are ready to ship your camera, we ask you to provide the remaining payment of 1.700€ EUR* which will include the shipping costs within the European Union after which we will send the camera via FedEx or DHL.

Please note that there’s only a limited amount of beta cameras made available, which will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. As a special feature, each camera can be personalized with the buyers name or company name included in the firmware upon turn-on if wanted free of charge. This is a feature that the mass-release cameras will not support.

If you are interested in becoming a beta camera customer, please contact either Pro8mm or Logmar directly at Tommy@Logmar.dk to learn more.

* = Please note that the prices above are exclusive of VAT.

---

Extended frame rates

Posted on August 3, 2014 by admin

During our visit to Pro8mm many of the participants in their open house event asked about frame rates below 18 fps which we had not considered before.

Taking their feedback into consideration we’ve been working hard to make that happen and are happy to report that our latest firmware has been upgraded to support frame rates down to 1 fps including everything in-between.

Currently we are working on implementing some of the other ideas that came from the event into the firmware also.
  • Upvote 1

It is not overpriced. They anticipate selling a certain amount. From there do the math on R&D and costs to build the cameras to be sold. Are they not allowed to make a profit?

They are not running a charity. While I am flummoxed they have signed up with Pro8mm I am not about to say they owe us cameras at cost.

• Upvote 1

It is not overpriced. They anticipate selling a certain amount. From there do the math on R&D and costs to build the cameras to be sold. Are they not allowed to make a profit?

They are not running a charity. While I am flummoxed they have signed up with Pro8mm I am not about to say they owe us cameras at cost.

Maybe plan a Christmas holiday in Denmark/Sweden. Plenty to see and experience :)