Quentin Tarantino to shoot his next film "The Hateful Eight "in 70mm Super Cinemascope

Nicholas Kovats

We need a 70mm camera forum. The word "Super" may or may not imply anamorphics. If so I believe the correct term is either Ultra Panavision or MGM Camera 65 (65mm plus 1.25x anamorphic). Whopper of a format with an aspect ratio of 2.76:1. Similar to the hybrid spherical native film format I introduced in 2011 called UltraPan8, e.g.

Go Quentin!

• Premium Member

Since "Super CinemaScope" is sort of a made-up format, I suspect he is planning on shooting in regular 5-perf 65mm Super Panavision 70 and just calling it "Super CinemaScope". He's made no mention in the press of using anamorphic lenses on a 65mm camera (not that I can find). CinemaScope had a short-lived (two movies) format called CinemaScope 55 which involved 2X anamorphic lenses on a 55mm negative but otherwise, there was never a large format system involving CinemaScope lenses, just the 1.5X anamorphic lenses for the Technirama 8-perf format and the 1.25X anamorphic lenses for the Ultra Panavision 65mm format.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Martin Hart of the American Widescreen Museum sent me a note correcting me (and Mark) -- I didn't know this, but CinemaScope 55, which involved making larger 2X anamorphic lenses to cover a 55mm squarish negative, was labelled "Super CinemaScope" on the lenses and on their 2X anamorphic projector lens.

And as I noted in the other thread, Taratino and Richardson are planning on using Ultra Panavision 70 (aka MGM Camera 65) after all, not Super Panavision.