"The Hateful Eight" in 65/70

Thats good news about the Odeon on Leicester Square, I was thinking anywhere outside of the US and Canada had been forgotten re Interstellar. I'll be off to that Odeon come Nov the 7th

I think it arrives at the Odeon there on the 6th, a day early.

There are also screenings at the IMAX cinemas from the 7th in 15perf 70mm but I'm not sure if all those screenings will definitely by on film and it's not made very clear.

Freya

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

http://thefilmstage.com/news/quentin-tarantino-talks-70mm-release-plans-for-the-hateful-eight-and-potential-retirement/

I was wrong, Tarantino and Richardson are really talking about using Ultra Panavision 70, which used 1.25X anamorphic lenses to create a 2.7 : 1 image on 5-perf 65mm. I figured that wasn't even possible, for two reasons -- one is that Panavision was giving away some of those lenses are retirement gifts to some people, and two, the few theaters that have 70mm projectors don't have 1.25X anamorphic projector lenses, let alone 2.7 : 1 screens (Ultra Panavison was really designed for Cinerama screens.) A lot of hurdles to get over.

I would presume that Panavision will modify contemporary lenses and that the prints will be letterboxed. I'm curious what the printing process will be - can you print that way, optically? Printing digitally (I know that Richardson likes DIs and that 8K DIs aren't entirely unprecedented), could you deanamorphicize by printing non-square pixels or would you need to resample?

• Premium Member

If they are going to letterbox a 70mm print, they would either optically unsqueeze and reduce the 2.7 image to fit onto the 2.2 frame, or more likely, do a D.I., electronically unsqueeze it, and record that image onto 65mm film with a letterbox. Or maybe they plan on a photochemical finish and then finding a 1.25X projector lens (I"m sure Panavision has one, projector lenses were their first products in the 1950's) and just road-showing the Ultra Panavision 70mm print around, one theater at a time.

• Premium Member

If they are going to letterbox a 70mm print, they would either optically unsqueeze and reduce the 2.7 image to fit onto the 2.2 frame, or more likely, do a D.I., electronically unsqueeze it, and record that image onto 65mm film with a letterbox. Or maybe they plan on a photochemical finish and then finding a 1.25X projector lens (I"m sure Panavision has one, projector lenses were their first products in the 1950's) and just road-showing the Ultra Panavision 70mm print around, one theater at a time.

As much as I want to celebrate their efforts, there are so few venues left in the country that properly accommodate the format that it seems like they are going to go through a lot of work and expense only to come up short, exhibition-wise.