Sam Mendes Road to Perdition, Genius Cinematography By Conrad Hall

Younes Boudiaf

Hi for all,

Yesterday I watched Road to Perdition for learning purposes, and even it is not the first time for me to watch it, I was really impressed by every frame I watched, and enjoyed every minute of music composed.

Conrad Hall a legendary Cinematographer who really nailed some movies including this one, in which I have some question for you professional guys,

1. there is a very nice montage " Road to Chicago" (You tube Link bellow) and I which if you guys can explain to me how he did this car scene (start at 26th second) ? is there any green screen and cut to a real shot ? it looks really realistic.

2. when we really need to use a vertigo shot ? is it just aesthetically pleasing or it has a certain meaning ? what is this meaning in this shot ( 1st attached image).

3. the third attached image is for you to enjoy some art.

post-65330-0-33482900-1407761455_thumb.jpg

post-65330-0-48909600-1407761545_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm pretty sure I remember reading about the car scenes in the film being shot in-studio, some quite simply.

I imagine that scene was shot against blue screen with the background plates and window reflections done in post with the final reveal of Chicago(?) most-likely a composite.