Hi-Con 7363 Processing as Negative?

Jon Taala

Hi All,

I just found out about 7363 and watched some test videos on it and it really interests me. I want to try and shoot it and just ordered some from Kodak. It should be here in a week or so.

Anywho, I just had a couple questions about this stock. Is this stock short pitch or long pitch? Since this is a Positive stock, does it have to be processed as a positive or a negative? I was planing on bucket processing at home for experimental purposes.

Just so I can wrap my head around this stock... When I expose it to light and develop as a positive it will become clear, and when I expose to light and develop as a negative it will become black right?

Maybe I'm just overthinking it but I really couldn't find much information about this stock online.

Thanks!

Positive stock is intended for making contact prints from negative. It develops to black when exposed. Positive and negative processing is much the same. If you use it in a camera you will get a negative.

Perhaps you are thinking of reversal, where you get a positive image out of the camera. Developing positive stock as reversal is a very different proposition.

It's long pitch.

We regularly develop HiCon in either our B&W Negative machine or our B&W Reversal machine depending on the customer requirement for it to be a Positive or a Negative.

But since it is a positive stock, it is technically reversal film, so it is suppose to be developed in positive chems right? This whole it can be developed as a positive or negative is a bit confusing for me since im fairly new with b&w negative/reversal films.

Thanks, Robert.

No, positive and reversal are not the same thing.

7363 is not reversal per se but as Robert says can be reversal processed.

Positive processing is fundamentally the same as negative- exposed film goes to black. One uses different chemicals because the contrast requirements are different. A negative is usually processed to a much lower contrast than a positive print. 7363 is intended for high contrast because it's intended for shooting titles, not live action.

In reversal processing, the black silver is bleached out, then the remaining undeveloped emulsion re-exposed to light. Then this is processed a second time. The result is black shadows and clear highlights.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Site Sponsor

Also you can develop just about any B&W stock as either a positive or a negative, generally the slower stocks get better results but that is not a rule, I shot some Plus-X reversal (slow motion) and we developed it as a negative for the short film I was making and I negative cut it together with 7231 and 7222.

The Orwo UN54 runs very well as negative or reversal we ran some tests and didn't have to adjust the speed or chemistry in the B&W Neg or Rev machines to run it sucessfully.

Short Film:

Orwo UN54 as Rev:

Orwo UN54 as Neg:

• Upvote 1