Online film schools

Weber Kendrick

Hi, I'm going to Film school in 2017 ( University) , now i have 3 years off to enjoy my life :))) i'm looking for online film school teaching about cinematography , camera, lens, light,...( not too much about VFX or animation ) that is helpful and will give me a certificate or st but that doesn't important. I want to take classes to gain knowledge and experience to have a strong background to go to Film school in 2017. I'm willing to pay money to access those courses. Do you suggest any trusted sites or schools ? i found http://www.lightsfilmschool.com/ , anyone has any ideas about them ? Thank you so much

Hi Weber,

I don't know of any online film school, but my immediate thought was: "Online film school? They're probably expensive and rather useless."

I'm sure a lot of people here will agree that the most valuable offer from film schools is the ability to start building a network by meeting and working with talented or established people from the industry. The knowledge itself? You can learn it elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.

There are plenty of books about lighting and cinematography that are used by film school teachers to develop their own programme, so just skip the middle-man (or woman), go straight to the source and save some money: Buy and read the books.

Watch films.

If you can afford them, buy a cheap camera, some lenses, some lights, and start shooting.

Edited by Nicolas Courdouan

• Premium Member

I am 100% with Nicolas on this one. Film school is really only about the people you meet therein. Conversely, it may be wiser to just spend the money you would on film school to move to a "production city" and start trying to work on set. That's where the real learning happens. Hell I still learn something new on almost every shoot I'm on because you get faced with some pretty specific and interesting situations you need to remedy.