Nizo 561 macro apeture issues

Chris Burke

I just purchased a Nizo 561 macro for almost nothing and all is working except the aperture. I put two button cells in. The ƒ stop indicator now works up to ƒ5.6m beyond that it does not move. Is this a typical problem? can it be fixed? would fresh batteries fix it?

You need to use the Wein air cell px625 batteries for the light meter. If they are running low, the needle won't work at all or only go so far. My Nizo 481 did the same thing the other day (only went to 5.6 with manual control) so i put in 2 fresh air cells and now fully functional.

Yes.

You can't cut corners on this- you have to use the expensive Wein cells. The voltage must be correct- 1.35V- and stable. Other PX625s are silver oxide and start off at 1.5V which gives an incorrect reading.

The Wein cell uses a zinc-air process to replace the mercury which was banned some time ago.

There is a voltage-correcting adapter but it is about £30 here and you'd need two.

The aperture is working. At least I can move it to any f stop. Which I couldn't do before. Any in Boston with a role they want to sell? I would love to shoot one this weekend.

That's great! You can test the meter without a cartridge out in the daylight and see what kind of readings you get. Sans cart, your camera will meter at 100ASA on daylight settings, or i160ASA on tungsten setting. The filter switch on the Nizo works differently with ASA settings than most other cameras. For example, If you load a cart of 50 daylight, the cart will disable the filter but the ASA rating depends on the filter switch... Daylight setting will read the film as 40 (overexposing 1/3rd) and tungsten setting will read it as 64ASA (under 1/3rd). Basically, make sure the filter switch is always set on the right condition, whether it's automatically disabled or not. 200T will read 160T/100D, with the little extra exposure a good thing.TriX (160T/200D) you will just leave on Tungsten setting since the camera sensor maxes out at 160ASA, 500T will read as 160T or 100D, over by 1&1/3rd stops but then you just set it manually from there. happy shooting!