Cooke Speed Panchro Ser.I , Ser. II

Hello,

which are the significat differences between the speed panchros Ser. 1 and 2 ?

Most of the lenses you can find are Ser. II lenses. I think, the Ser 1, the original Speed Panchros, are from the 40s or 30s, aren't they ?

How is the image quality and the 'look' of this older lenses ?

Mich

And what's about the kinetal lenses (made for 16mm). What's the difference between the glass of the Panchros and the Kinetal ?

• Premium Member

Hi Michael,

Have you read this history of Cooke lenses:

http://www.fdtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Cooke-Book-2013-FDTimes.pdf

Lots of interesting info.

According to that, Series I Speed Panchros came out in the 30s, cover a smaller image circle than Ser II and III, are f1.8 rather than f2, and are uncoated. Ser II came out in 45, and we're redesigned by Gordon Cook to cover a larger frame, Ser III from 54 are only the 18 and 25 mm.

I haven't used or projected Ser I Panchros, but I imagine they would look similar to the later series, just with less contrast and more flare and they're probably not quite as well corrected. You'd also find the mount options a bit obscure, Newman Sinclair or early Mitchell (plate) or Debrie sort of mounts.

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

Have you read this history of Cooke lenses:

http://www.fdtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Cooke-Book-2013-FDTimes.pdf

Lots of interesting info.

According to that, Series I Speed Panchros came out in the 30s, cover a smaller image circle than Ser II and III, are f1.8 rather than f2, and are uncoated. Ser II came out in 45, and we're redesigned by Gordon Cook to cover a larger frame, Ser III from 54 are only the 18 and 25 mm.

I haven't used or projected Ser I Panchros, but I imagine they would look similar to the later series, just with less contrast and more flare and they're probably not quite as well corrected. You'd also find the mount options a bit obscure, Newman Sinclair or early Mitchell (plate) or Debrie sort of mounts.

Thanks.

That's very interresting.

Until which time were the panchros Ser.II/III made ? The 70s ?