The 10 Most Exquisitely Lit Films Of All Time

• Premium Member

It's hard to take that article too seriously. He doesn't give much credit to the cinematographer in each selection on his list, otherwise he might have noticed that the hot top lighting he credits to Tarantino(!) for "Django Unchained" was also happening in "Bringing Out the Dead", which is also on his list -- because both were shot by Robert Richardson (not to mention, I'd pick any number of Richardson-shot movies over "Django", from "Inglourious Basterds" to "JFK"...)

There's nothing wrong with his list, per se, they are all nicely-lit movies and many are my favorites as well... but it is a somewhat haphazard selection that is biased towards the past 20 years of cinema. And to call those ten as the best of "all time" for lighting is rather debatable. What about "Barry Lyndon", "Blade Runner", "The Duelists", "Black Narcissus" and "The Red Shoes", Figueroa's work in "The Fugitive", Morris' work in "Moulin Rouge", etc.

But as a list of ten movies worth checking out, it's fine. It's the "of all time" notion that I trouble with, it implies something beyond a subjective opinion, something more than a personal favorites list.

Oh just fodor for discussion. I tried to pick subjects that were craft oriented and might enlighten or inspire film makers but take them for what they're worth. I don't intend to make "carpet bombing" a particular habit unless something comes up that is particularly useful to movie makers. Just FYI, B)

It's hard to take that article too seriously. He doesn't give much credit to the cinematographer in each selection on his list, otherwise he might have noticed that the hot top lighting he credits to Tarantino(!) for "Django Unchained" was also happening in "Bringing Out the Dead", which is also on his list -- because both were shot by Robert Richardson (not to mention, I'd pick any number of Richardson-shot movies over "Django", from "Inglourious Basterds" to "JFK"...)

There's nothing wrong with his list, per se, they are all nicely-lit movies and many are my favorites as well... but it is a somewhat haphazard selection that is biased towards the past 20 years of cinema. And to call those ten as the best of "all time" for lighting is rather debatable. What about "Barry Lyndon", "Blade Runner", "The Duelists", "Black Narcissus" and "The Red Shoes", Figueroa's work in "The Fugitive", Morris' work in "Moulin Rouge", etc.

But as a list of ten movies worth checking out, it's fine. It's the "of all time" notion that I trouble with, it implies something beyond a subjective opinion, something more than a personal favorites list.

Honestly, I actually very much agree with you. The point of posting the lists was to strart a diolog on the crafts involved in the film making process. The glaring exclusions you pointed out show the need for such discussion in my opinion. People need to realize cinematography has been around since before 1990 and we can learn from these wonderful examples.

• Premium Member
This is just a partial list of the movies from the past 40 years that I tend to look at again and again for the lighting of interiors:

Klute (1971)

Cabaret (1972)

The Godfather, Part II (1974)

Barry Lyndon (1975)

1900 (1976)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

The Duelists (1977)

Agatha (1979)

Alien (1979)

Manhattan (1979)

Chariots of Fire (1981)

Pennies From Heaven (1981)

Reds (1981)

Blade Runner (1982)

One From the Heart (1982)

Rumblefish (1983)

The Natural (1984)

Legend (1985)